Monday, October 3, 2011

Kitchen Counters Arrived

Mr. Maison Decor helps the delivery guy bring in the new countertops we had ordered just 7 days earlier!
I wanted to change the look of my kitchen on a budget and had been doing just that by painting out the maple cabinets with chalk paint to a creamy white color. Inspired by the difference that made I couldn't help but not love the laminated countertops that remained. Since this house is not where we plan to spend our dying days, I decided to try the new 180fx Formica laminate in Calacutta Marble finish.  Well aware that these counters would still be formica, but hoping for a big bang for the buck, I placed the order. No less than 5 days later I got a call scheduling the delivery!  We hadn't taken any steps to prepare yet, thinking we had three weeks.
So this is how Saturday went over at Maison Decor~8:30 am the counters arrive.
9 AM and the "slabs" are stacked in my dining room.  Honestly, my heart sank when I saw that the edge I selected was the tell tale Formica looking edge. When I picked out the edge originally I had selected a preformed edge that was slightly rounded.  If I had real marble, I wanted a flat squared off edge~and the sample had a picture showing the kitchen just like that, and you couldn't detect any seams.  The kitchen "expert" encouraged me to go with the "custom square edge" instead of the preformed edge...a decision I totally regret.  Now, in the grand scheme of things, this is not something to lose sleep over...after all, it is just a counter top.  However if you were to use this product, do not do as I did~go with a preformed edge style so you don't have a dark seams screaming "FORMICA" at you when you look at it.  Mr. MD suggested just starting the counters by removing the smaller section of counter top right away and see how it looks.  I was quite happy to get to the ripping out and thought, perhaps it will look better in place.
 I cleared out the cabinets so we could unscrew the tops from the bases.
 They came off very easily~my number one helper removed the old top.
 Gone~the old speckled counter tops are history now! I still had to paint the base cabinets back to white.
First we were going to plonk the new counter top in position and see how it looked.
9:30 AM:  Not that thrilled, honestly~but what I usually do when I get that not so thrilled feeling, is just keep forging ahead, hoping it will look better when all the components are in place~and in this case, that meant white cabinets, and a bead board back splash.  The other problem that presented itself was that the new counter was higher than the old one, so we needed to raise the stove, which Mr. MD set out to do while I painted the cabinets back to white. 
10:00 AM:  But before I would start the cabinet painting I thought I would use the roll of bead board wallpaper I had on hand for the back splash area. I couldn't stand the thought of waiting to go to the lumberyard and making the cuts and applying the wood backing, when I knew I could have it all bead-boarded up before lunchtime.  The walls needed to be sized and dried so I did that next and then got to painting the cabinets. I knew that if the wallpaper was not that great, I could always do the real bead board later.  I also had to bake cupcakes because I was going to a party at my sisters house that afternoon, and I was bringing the desert! 
Yes, I am a multi-tasker. You can see I got the cabinets painted, and I loved how that looked.
10:30 AM:  Its feeling messy and chaotic in here~not the look I am envisioning...but forge ahead girl I said to myself.  Trust the vision...
12:00 PM:  As soon as the beadboard wallpaper went up, I breathed a sigh of relief.  I could live with this, and quite happily I might add.  The kitchen was being transformed into a light bright space, and the marble formica was looking pretty good!  I set up a transferware plate to see how it would feel, and it made me feel very good!
I mean, after comparing it to the old,  wouldn't you be happy with this improvement? 
So that is where we stand at the moment.  The other counter top involves sink removal and cutting out of the opening for the sink in the new Formica.  We also have to remove and reconfigure the run of cabinets next to the fridge.  If we have a stretch of rainy weather, that means my number one helper will be available to get to work instead of doing his excavation gig.  Praying for rain now! I'll be sharing the progress as it comes~


linking to 
Mod Vintage Life
                                                                               and 

50 comments:

  1. It is definitely a light and bright space now! Can't wait to see the finished space, it is looking absolutely beautiful!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brave woman! You did forge ahead, and the result is a kitchen so warm, cheerful, and pretty. I want to blog or pin it. I am always so impressed with the Vision thing, which I do not have with interior design. I know what I want, and in pictures I can tell you exactly what is and isn't "right", but when it comes to my own home, forget it! Anyway, your blog is lovely and inspiring!
    From a new blogger,(and
    your newest follower!)
    --Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty, what a neat idea. I am going to show my mom this she is trying to sell her vacation home in New Hampshire and wants to get rid of the ugly dark countertops but make a big investment. This might just do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving it! I was holding my breath through your entire post thinking you were going to send it back. But your instincts were right. Looks great! Can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new counter top! I have the same speckled counter tops now so I can appreciate you wanting a change. There is nothing wrong with Formica. I like it. Did your old counter top have the "preformed edge"? I can't tell from the picture and I'm not real familiar with that edge. I was considering the beadboard backsplash too. Thanks for the great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking great Amy! I love the beadboard wallpaper. I used it on my cabinet doors and it just makes the whole kitchen! I look forward to seeing it all done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Amy Your kitchen looks great, the beadboard really finished it off! I can't wait to see it all finished it's going to be beautiful! Martina

    ReplyDelete
  8. They turned out SO pretty! I think they came together perfectly once you added the beadboard. That made all the difference. It's looking like the vintage style kitchen you've always wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like it Amy! I wasn't sure about the edge either when I first seen it but with the beadboard and the putting the "decorator's touch" on it , I think it looks great! I can't wait to see the rest if it when you get it finished.~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Huge huge change!! I had no idea that something with that look was available. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's looking great, Amy! You don't know how it does my heart good to hear that someone else in the design business gets that "no so thrilled" feeling! Almost always with my own projects, rarely with client projects. Why is that? Sometimes I feel since I'm in this business I'm not allowed to make mistakes but we're only human. So thank you for sharing that.
    I am always in awe of all you can get done! LOL! Your multi-tasking in this case amazes me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, it is looking wonderful. I can't believe the transformation that took place as you showed all the pics. I really like the counter tops. The marble look is gorgeous. The beadboard added tons to the whole look also. I can't wait to see the finished kitchen. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks good Amy. A definite improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this idea Amy! Would it help to paint out the black formica edge "line" in a coordinating white...bright white to match counter, so it wasn't as obvious for you? Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy, that is a wonderful improvement and I don't blame you for sinking money in when your aren't staying in that house. This is our house till we go to the old folks home probably. ha ha The beadboard wallpaper backsplash is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think these look fabulous, Amy!! And if you aren't planning on staying in your home...you just don't know if a buyer is going to love them or hate them...who cares?? Keep forging ahead, I love your attitude!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a transformation! It's looking stunning, that bead board was such a smart choice, it really adds the finishing touch. Can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks great Amy, I cant believe how much that Formica looks like marble! Formica has really come a long way. The counter tops look amazing with that bead board paper.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lookin' great! You pulled it off nicely, I agree that the "after" is charming, your beadboard wallpaper looks wonderful! Looking forward to seeing the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Amy,
    that is a good way to remake a kitchen by a budget. The cabinets turned out beautyful. The whiten brigthens the kitchen. Good job.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was just like you with them, at first it was like, well they're ok, definitely better than the others, but then when you put up the beadboard, they went from just ok, to Holy Crap, Beautiful. Totally looks like your inspiration photos! That just amazes me, and teaches me something about forging ahead... WOW.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amy looks fantastic, much better than I was thinking in all honesty...the bead board adds a lot. Love the lighter color, the whole vibe is just beautiful and is such a major transformation! Give yourself a big pat on the back...well done once again!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The kitchen is looking great! Can't wait to see the finale!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the bead board backsplash Amy! The whole kitchen looks lighter and brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've honestly never been a fan of marble but it looks SOOO pretty with the white paint and the beadboard - great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amy, it looks beautiful! (I giggled when I saw the pic of the box of cake mix sitting next to the drill! Just like in my kitchen!) You amaze me with your ideas, Great Job!!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Amy,

    I think they are looking wonderful, especially with the bead board paper and the white painted cabinets. I bet when all is said and done it will look fantastic and that you'll like it...and if it turns out that's not the case it is still a definite improvement over what was there and it's not the home you're going to stay in either...so really you can say you learned a lot from this. Anyway, I am liking the look!

    I really admire your 'go girl' attitude!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful breath of fresh air that counter-top and back-splash added!! It all looks so much like your inspiration! Its really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wait I have a question. Are you going to paint that wallpaper? I mean I know it is white but does it need paint?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes I am going to paint the backsplash, it is way too bright white against the cabs. I am considering painting out the seam lines too, as someone else thought might be a good idea, I thought it might work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just love your cabinets and counter tops! The back splash is one of my favorites! You did a great job! I am a new follower too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello Amy,

    I agree with everyone else...your counters are going to look great!
    Can't wait to see the whole room after all is installed.

    janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amy, I think it looks great. I have granite that is brown speckled. I hate it. If it weren't a sin (in my husbands book anyway) I'd replace it with the same ones you used, seams or no seams. It looks so bright and cheery now.....I love it.
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think it looks wonderful and the beadboard wallpaper is just the finishing touch it needed. I have just found out about the wallpaper and in love with it. I will be showing projects I am using it for on my blog in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Amy-It looks great- I think you know we used to have a home improvement company...and you will be glad that you have the squared edge countertop in the long run. For some reason, the ones with the bullnosed edges often fracture..when you bang something against them by mistake. Now..just a hint...in a place where you can't see it (like pull your stove out and try that edge)...take a bit of white paint, run it along the "seam" and then wipe it away before it is completely dry. It should make the seam virtually disappear. If you don't like the look then you don't have to muck up the whole thing if you just try the one spot. I think what makes the edge so noticeable is that it is black/dark where the seam is. Good luck- I think it looks beautiful...so much better! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like it! I think maybe you can paint the seams?

    I might do this. I'd paint the cabs the same color as the white in the marble I think.

    How does one seal the beadboard wallpaper though? Without discoloring it at least. I'd want to wash it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think the new countertops will work out quite well. It'll be interesting to see what you do about those "telltale Formica seams". Personally I don't think they're that bad since the rest of your kitchen looks absolutely stunning! I love the beadboard wallpaper. I was sorta thinking of doing that in my own kitchen..Far less expensive than the real thing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. When the tops got delivered and I saw the black line I knew I would try painting them out...I did not mention it in the post in case it was disastrous! But I have to say this morning I drybrushed some white paint along the seam and it does pretty much disappear!! As far as the bead board goes, I will be painting it so it is "sealed" and can be washed. It is more delicate than the real thing, and one must take care not to dent it or scratch it, as it is made out of a foam like product to give it the 3D look.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think they look great. I was so excited when you told us about the new look of formica. Yep, I have them too, I want to replace but, the cost of course. I love the new look of your kitchen, I hope you love it too because it really does look so much brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I think they are lovely and a big improvement over the old counter tops.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love it, Amy. As much as I would love marble in my kitchen, I am scared to death of how I would destroy its good looks with spaghetti sauce, red wine, and tea. We have formica at our lake cabin, and I love it because I can clorox it! I thin if I ever get a new counter, it will be white ceramic tile because I can also clorox it, too. Our granite in most of our kitchen will need to be replaced because it is messed up. I dread that day, let me tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Really....??? painting cabinets, installing counter tops, papering walls AND making cupcakes! I'm exhausted just watching you :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. FABULOUS, Amy! I love the new countertops ... makes your space look even larger and the beadboard backsplash was a wonderful choice! I can't wait to see them all dressed up with your terrific vignettes! xo

    ReplyDelete
  44. It's coming along nicely! I never knew you could get Formica Calacutta. They look very nice. My dream is for Carrera Marble in my next kitchen....but budget may dictate Formica for me too. This is not a bad option though. Thanks for the tip on the edge. Do you mind if I ask where you ordered the counter tops? Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  45. Looking good...it will all come out looking stunning...love the bead board!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  46. Kitchen coming along nicely. Love the counters. Really enjoy your blog and just nominated you for The Versatile Blogger award!
    http://prissyville.blogspot.com/2011/10/versatile-blogger-nomination-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  47. I think your kitchen is looking just beautiful!!! Sometimes you have to keep the vision and trust that it will work out in the end and I believe yours really is going to.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  48. I squealed a little when I saw you had a new post!! I was so excited to see the new marble. It is going to be wonderful, it already looks great. I am going to look into this for our bathroom. We need a new counter and are in holding mode for a remodel until our son goes off to college. It's countdown mode. A little under 4 years now. Something this pretty would make the wait bearable =)

    Can't wait to see the big reveal =)))

    ReplyDelete
  49. Looks wonderful Amy, great changes, so light and bright! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  50. Holy smokes...you are quite the "get er done" girl.....I love the countertops and the way the bead board wallpaper looks.....must read that last kitchen installment before I go take a shower and get ready for the day :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...