Saturday, July 22, 2017

New: Cupola installation, Bohemian rug runner, and Cabana curtains


This post is all about DIY projects that have finally been completed. 
Way off in the distance, do you spy our new cupola? 
 It is incredibly darling, don't you agree?
I am overjoyed with how it enhances the shed, and our gardens. 
 The shed is almost hidden by the large arborvitaes that create the private area that holds a
small tomato garden and the garden shed.  So adding the cupola makes it more visible from
the lower levels of the yard and courtyard, and even from the street.  
A dog weathervane in Piper's likeness sits atop this small wooden cupola I found on a FB yardsale site after a quick search.  The family that never used it, sold it to me and coincidentally they had 5 golden retrievers themselves, one being an English Cream, like Piper. It was meant to be...
Mr. Maison Decor had a friend who crafted a spinner piece so the weathervane will move with the wind.  Originally it was made to be a decorative piece and attached in one permanent direction.
This was the moment he placed it on the top of the tiny shed, and my heart skipped a beat.  I have been in love with cupolas forever, and finally I have one to call my own.  Yippee!
The other thing that finally happened was installing black and white cabana curtains to frame the cellar entrance that leads to my son's apartment.  Our house sits sideways on the lot, and this side faces the front of the street so it was nice to enhance it a little bit.
The entry to our house is accessed by the old granite stairs at the far end.  The cabana curtains add a decorator flair to the house, where once there was none.
A porch swing my dad made decades ago hangs in the enclosed space.  
These are all part of the things I have been doing to get ready for the book shoot with Nora Murphy. The feeling I have is that if its going to be captured forever in the pages of a book, I would hate to not try my best to get projects completed that have been in the "to do list" in my head.  My wish list, as it were.  We all have them....and maybe they get put off, and ignored.  So the book shoot has made them come alive and give me sleepless nights.  Can I get this or that done before Nora??  Life is busy and full at our house, and so getting projects done is more daunting because of my other jobs at home.  So any that I do get finished gives me a sense of fulfillment, because I know how hard it was to pull it off.  Piper and Colby are fast friends, with Piper taking the lead in the house. No doubt about it, she is a confident dog, and its been fun to watch her play with Colby.  He is so gentle with her, and they have their routine down pat now, leaping from dog bed to dog bed, chasing toys and tug of war.  
Another thing on my to do wish list, was to have a carpet runner installed to the third floor.  For one reason, it helps the dogs to safely navigate the stairs, and since Piper is growing like a weed, we won't be carrying her up and down much longer.  I found this pretty bohemian patterned rug at Joss and Main (online store) and ordered two 12' runners.  We had them professionally installed and it really finished off the space.  A collection of vintage art work hangs on one side, and it makes for a pretty walk up to bed each night. 
So life in the country is simply grand around here....
and after the book shoot I think I will relax so I can enjoy the 
entire month of August  with the hubs and kids and 
with little or NO projects at all!


 photo signature_zpsxi5q1w6r.png

13 comments:

  1. I love how your visions and goals always come to fruition in such a beautiful way, Amy. Everything is just so perfect --- and that stair runner just stole my heart! I think I nee to remove the ugly cream carpeting on my stairs and find a couple boho runners now! lol Great job, girl!

    xo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    Your home is timeless and so very elegant. I love how you mix styles and make everything look so pretty, warm and welcoming. You are definitely living your decorating dream and I'm sure the photos will be amazing in the book.
    I really love the cupola and your surrounding gardens. I think it's all perfect, so relax and enjoy that well earned break with family and pups!
    hugs,
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sissie, its been so nice to get back to doing the things I love...decorating and gardening. Having them put in a book is simply grand!!

      Delete
  3. That cupola is sweet! I really want one, + would ours have a Dachshund weather vane, I wonder? ;-) BTW, you + we both have white houses with black doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet you could find one....start thinking about it and I bet one will pop up in your path....that is what happened to me!

      Delete
  4. Everything looks great. Where did you get your cabana drapes? They are hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made these from indoor outdoor fabric that I bought online...cannot recall the name of the company, but get the acrylic fabric, not polyester, and it won;t fade.

      Delete
  5. Everything looks just right, Amy. I am sure Nora will be pleased with all you've done. Your house and gardens deserve to be recognized forever in a book! It's time to relax and enjoy your lovely surroundings, and your family, for the rest of the summer...you have earned it!!!
    Most sincerely....Debbie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora was very pleased, and she even tweaked it to a higher level. She is amazing!

      Delete
  6. It has been such a treat watching the progress of the shed, and the cupola is so adorable! All of these new editions to your life this summer--what fun and life they must bring to your soul. I can relate to the list of projects, and since I may have a crew here yet this summer (shhhhh), it is a combination of unnerving + joy. I'm ready to relax and will be getting away for a couple of weeks. Peace to you, friend, as you make your dreams come true. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is unnerving, so I understand that totally!! Excitement with dread of all the things to do to get ready...lol!

      Delete
  7. Love your new French garden. Would like to know if your fence is wood? Thinking of one for my garden. Your yard flows beautifully. I have a problem making mine flow. But you have given me new inspiration and vision for my own French retreat

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...