Friday, November 10, 2017

Grey velvet curtains, gilded cornices and Piper


 Velvet draperies are so luxurious.  Hard to tell from this shot, but the velvet
warms up the room, making it nice and cozy for the cold weather months.
I found these 96" lined velvet pinch pleated panels at HomeGoods, in case
you are searching for some at a reasonable price.  Their drapery department has
been pretty impressive lately, as I also found Belgian linen panels earlier this year.
I have had white smocked curtain panels from Pottery Barn hanging in this room
for years now, underneath white metal cornices that I made from vintage cornices
I found at an antique shop in New Hampshire.  They were stamped brass metal, in an
old gold color.  Hmmmm, I kind of wish they were the brass finish now.  At any rate,
I didn't like the look of the grey velvet under the white cornices so I painted them with 
Paris Grey Chalk Paint by you know who.  
 After painting them, I outlined the top with some gilding wax in gold.  Its a quick project
that I was able to do in an hour.  Getting ready for the holidays around here now, so I am envisioning a very Versailles Christmas in my mind's eye.  That means gold and gilding and velvet and of
course that wonderful blue color that Marie Antoinette loved so much.  Its much the same as my wall color in the living room, Woodlawn Blue by Benjamin Moore.  Imagine a white christmas tree with blue and gold....maybe some velvet ribbon.  Yummy!  In the latest Horchow Collection catalogue they have a Versailles Christmas ornament and ribbon collection!  I almost fell out of my french chair.  The only thing I didn't care for was that they added red to the blue and gold collection, which will never happen on my tree.  And thats the awesome thing about Christmas decorating, or any kind of decorating....you get to put your own stamp of personal style and vision together.  And each year its always a bit different, and that makes it fun for me.
So forgive me if Christmas decorating starts making an early appearance on my blog, but I am more than excited this year to get my trees up!  I think Reeve will love seeing the twinkle and the sparkle and the wonder of it all.  I am hoping little Piper can keep her composure around the trees and not make a mess of it.
She's pretty curious about just about everything. 

 photo signature_zpsxi5q1w6r.png

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! I made velvet curtains for a house I had and lined them with white FLANNEL. You would not believe how heavy and 'rich' they were when hung. Love the cornice boards, too. My daughter has cornices in several of her rooms and they are gorgeous.

    I love your color choices. I had all blue and silver and crystal last year and loved it. Not sure how much I will do this year being as I have so much stuff packed already for the move in Spring. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy how are you? I don't get around to blogs nearly as much as I wish I could but wanted to say hi....things are looking just beautiful as always. I have not seen Reeve yet but what a total cutie pie! She is simply beautiful.....cheers to a wonderful holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I never thought I would see another Florentine piece like Piper is looking at. I found that at auction when I lived in Chattanooga TN, and the 'handle' got broken during the move to Memphis for a new job. I was devastated! So glad that you have this and enjoy it as much as I once did.
    Your friend in Nashville, Susan

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...