Monday, October 11, 2010

French Country: Enchanting Yellow & White

 This home from Country French Magazine caught my attention.
It has all the elements I think are important.
Its time for me to redecorate since I will soon be incorporating
 two households of furniture into one.
So I started off by putting together magazine pics
 of the rooms I love,
 to give me direction when I have to 
choose and edit our furnishings.

Painted furniture, french chandeliers, curvy furniture...
 Yellow walls, white slipcovers, 
garden decor brought indoors, and touches of black....
 Vintage furniture and garden urns topped by an old chandelier. Yellow and white.
 Fancy old mirrors, more chandeliers, urns, touches of floral in the carpeting and artwork...
 This theme repeats itself in this other home that was also featured in Country French.
A beautiful pastel floral carpet sets the tone in this yellow room with pink, green, blue and white.
Smocked toile draperies and gilt touches in the mirror and the chandy add elegance.
 Darling damask lampshades in 
raspberry sit on a painted yellow sideboard.
 Yellow walls, floral rugs, iron and painted furniture, white slipcovers with floral pillows...
more toile draperies between the door frames~
enchanting without overpowering the living room.
Vintage pieces in furniture, lighting, baskets, and the
painted trumeau mirror give this room classic french appeal.

WHAT TO USE?


I have things that I would love to use in our Boston house,
 that are in our NH house that is going to be sold next month.
Trying to keep the things you are fond of and at the same time creating a room
 like the ones I am attracted to is a challenge.
 Realistically most of us don't toss out our things and start from scratch.
Most of us redecorate using things we have and perhaps
adding a few new elements like drapes, a mirror or a new carpet.
 Here are some of the things I could use in the living room:
A pair of yellow and white toile slipcovered loveseats with ottoman, a white slipcovered sofa, a painted country hutch, black and white toile draperies with matching slipped wing chair, ivory mirrors, a black floral needlepoint rug, a tole tray collection, lace panels...
 pink and green toile draperies, a room sized lilac lace patterned rug, purple transferware, french provincial marble top table, iron and carved wood coffee and end tables (and I am not averse to painting them off white!), yellow patterned asian toile London shades  with pink and yellow tassel trim, a black leopard frenchy chair...
This rug is in the NH shop Rustique. Her blog button is on my sidebar, The Rehab Boutique.
 I was taking a pic of the stuff on top of it...but this rug stayed in my mind. 
I like the faded vintage feel, but wonder if it would be too small in front of the couch.
 I'll have to call Bridget and get the measurements! 
 I sold the brown sofa above and have moved in the white slipcovered sofa. I also removed the aqua floral rug as it was too colorful and modern feeling. The yellow window treatments I am ambivalent about...they are kind of bright. I have added linen fleur~de~lis panels sheer panels underneath and they create a softer feel. Would I be better off with new linen panels or some of my toile panels instead?
The black needlepoint rug is in here now, but it is not like any of my model pictures from the magazines.
I could try the small faded hooked rug from Rustique or use my large lilac rug...
I am happy with the  sofa and the floral french quilted pillows against the yellow walls.
What about if I painted the iron and wood coffee table ivory and got rid of the leather ottoman?
If I get rid of the black rug, the bright top treatments and use a creamy distressed coffee table, that might be what I need? I would love your thoughts! It is not uncommon for decorators to struggle when making their own decorating decisions, so any feedback you have would be helpful and fun to read!
I had hubs hang an iron fitting from a plumbing supply store to hand a lace panel against the staircase. 
I love how it looks! Our family photos litter the top of the piano now.
Real french lace is yummy.
I took this picture last night...I tucked an iron plant stand next to my front door.
Here it is in daylight. This shows the truer wall color: Ben Moore Harp Strings. It is a happy cheery yellow. Living in New England is probably the reason I go towards a yellow wall instead of the now popular greys.
I also use a lot of mirrors when I decorate. This venetian mirror is hanging above the mantel at the moment. I repainted the mantel white over the blue I had painted this spring. I know, I know....but I don't mind tweaking and painting until I get it right. This mantel started white, then went pink, then faux bois in a wax finish, then blue with a white glaze and now back to Dove White. In just 3 years! I still have yet to accessorize the mantel.
I want the living room to coordinate in feeling with the dining room. I love the light airiness of this space. I switched the position of the table and stuck it against the wall and plopped a little lamp. Its a large peninsula now and it opens the room up by this unusual arrangement.

I'll be moving down furniture from NH and adding to this room and subtracting. 
 I would love to hear your thoughts on what YOU think YOU would do to try and recreate the look of the homes in Country French magazine!

7 comments:

  1. I wish I could help you...the magazine images are definitely great inspiration. In this past spring, we had our family room painted a pale yellow with white trim. That is as far as I have gotten. It is basically empty but for a tan sofa and matching chairs. I haven't hung anything on the walls yet either. I am SO stuck!! I have thought about white slip covers but the sofa is an odd shape and they would have to be custom made and I might save money just buying something new. I know that curtains will be a main factor in the decor of the room but I am at a loss on colors. Maybe white linen panels HELP!!!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it's true that decorators and creative people do have a hard time when it comes to decorating their own homes. I think what you have done thus far looks really pretty. I know you will come up with a lovely look.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your collection of pictures has so many beautiful ideas- I can see why you kept them. I especially love your dining room and think you have really nailed it.The re-arranged table with the lamp reflecting in the mirror is nice.
    The black floral rug looks visually heavy to me. You might want to try a light floral such as in the dining room picture that you saved. Your idea to paint the coffee table ivory appeals to me and would be beautiful on a floral rug.I really like the white fireplace against your yellow walls. I would hate to see you remove the yellow London shades since I have admired them each time I got a glimsp. Adding the panels underneath for the cooler season would give you a change. It's all "trial and switching" until you hit upon something that clicks and you certainly have a good "eye" for it. I enjoy you blog and will stay in touch to see you work your magic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,
    whenever I need a bit of GORGEOUS rooms for inspiration- all I have to do is come on over to your blog!! I have that same magazine and LOVE those rooms and elements too! I think your yellow walls are beautiful and love so many of the things you are thinking of incorporating. I love the green hutch from your other house- and the purple transfer ware. I do like the white slipcovered sofa for sure! I think the toile panels would be definitely worth trying in there! So many choices- so much fun! I know anything you come up with will be AMAZING!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Amy. I am so embarrassed to say I don't think I've heard of that magazine. I don't know how I've missed it.
    All the pictures you've saved are gorgeous and I can see why you're inspired by them, although the pics below of your house just blend right on in.
    I agree with Courtney as far as the green hutch and toile curtains go and you know without my saying that the purple transferware is a MUST KEEP!
    I do sort of think the room would look better without the leather ottoman...I love it, I just think you could maybe put something there with a little softer tone overall. Even a tall tea table would be cute.
    I like the idea of painting the wood/iron table too. I love the style/shape with the other things in the room.


    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your inspiration photos are beautiful and I love what you have done so far to your living room... it sure doesn't look like you are struggling. The white slipcovered couch and pillows are gorgeous as are the lace panels you hung. You have some really beautiful things... I especially love the green hutch and I like what you did by adding the panels to your yellow shades... I would have a hard time not keeping those. I think your iron and wood tables would look GREAT painted a creamy off-white, too. I really like your black rug but the floral one from the NH shop looks like it is to die for and is so congruent with the look you are trying to achieve. I can't wait to see the room as it evolves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a place, this is really like a dream home, French style is really awesome , i like dining table part in the home. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...