Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pink Lusterware



Pink Lusterware is a kind of porcelain with a metallic glaze that gives an iridescent effect to mimic mother of pearl.  Josiah Wedgewood  introduced the pink lusterware in 1805.  I love the look of this pink porcelain and I pick it up when I see it at antique shops and auctions.  The large pink lusterware teapot is my most recent find~laden with hairline cracks, this beauty has seen better days, but it will be featured in my french desk.
Odd lots of little teacups and plates are in my collection.
Some have bits of gold highlights and all have that marvelous iridescence.
Pink and purple have been favorite colors since I was a young girl. In 9th grade I painted my bedroom walls different shades of lilac and used pale pink paint on the woodwork with my parent's permission.
A collection of pink lusterware berry bowls from the Brimfield Fair hang above the living room mirror.
See how shiny the glaze is, and how countrified the patterns are?
I've noticed pink lusterware in a lot of books and magazines~this one in Country Living.  The producer of this article is none other than Stacy Kunstel, who just did a photo shoot at Steve's house (of The Urban Cottage blog) for a Cottage book coming out by Better Homes and Gardens. 
I met Stacy at the Boston Design Center and she is a sweetheart.  Here we are last September and she had the most fabulous custom made yellow dress on!
Anyway, back to the article~these plates are hung on the wall in this Rhode Island home~giving the room that cottage flavor that I love.
 This image is the reason I bought this craft book by Martha Stewart.  Charming teacup topiaries in pink lusterware teacups!  I want to make some of these for the holidays and use my teacups.
These topiary teacups are topped off by a plate display above it of several different patterns.
Look at the pink lusterware plate on the page of a Country Living article featuring Rachel Ashwell, the creator of the shabby chic look. Who knew we both like Pink Lustreware, as they call it in England?
Sharing my love for pink lusterware with you~do you like Pink Lusterware?  

17 comments:

  1. Oh it is so pretty. YOur collection is lovely. I love the desk display, so beautiful and the ones around the mirror are wonderful. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pink lustreware! So pretty! I do not have any, but I really like it.

    xoxoxoxo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do now! I don't think I ever knew what it was called. Your collection looks so pretty in that cabinet. It fits the style of your living room perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I collect blue and white, but your pink lusterware and purple transferware has me swooning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is absolutely beautiful, Amy! You do such a nice job of showcasing it, too, which only adds to its beauty! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just loved this post! So pretty! (yes, I love pink lusterware best of all!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those dishes are really pretty and I love your stenciled wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! It's wonderful... i love the shades of pink in it, and the pretty cranberry pink colors really work in your house. I never knew any of that about lusterware but i can see that they do have that wonderful iridescence... I'm gonna keep a look out for some now. It all looks really pretty in your amazing desk!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I've ever noticed it before. The thing that's interesting to me is that even though the pink plates couldn't be any more feminine, they're really tempered by the more masculine pieces in the room on that "Colonial Revival" title page. I love that back and forth between pretty and masculine. It makes a room more interesting I think.

    And yes, I agree, Stacy is a sweetheart!

    Thanks for the holla!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How pretty your collection looks in your sweet cabinet and on your walls! I've seen pink lusterware in books and magazines and always loved the look. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pink is my favorite color so I adore your collection. You make everything look like it was meant to be in that certain spot. The mirror surrounded by the berry bowls is beautiful.----------Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have any, but now will know what to look for.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty! Pink is such a beautiful color in all it's variances. And because you showed a photo of your grand piano reflected in the mirror, I have to ask again, please do tell about it sometime! As a pianist, decorator, and married to a registered piano tuner, I am intrigued. Hope to see more about it in a coming post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ----Oops! I made a mistake...I typed registered piano tuner instead of Registered Piano Technician...(Somebody out there who's also in the know will have caught that and then I would have gotten in trouble...LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another collection! I didn't know you collected this. So very pretty. How's that kitchen coming along?

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...