Friday, October 14, 2011

Pretty Custom Draperies

 Did you know I make custom draperies?  At one time the bulk of my business was just making custom draperies full time! Sharing this info for my newer readers~anyway I pride myself on customer service, and once I install the window treatments I always come back if any problems arise and try to resolve the issue promptly.  I made these treatments about 6 years ago . 
 Silk panels with goblet pleats and an overlay swag in a complementary fabric that was the same as the roman shade underneath.
 The panels broke on the floor(that means they "break" like a mans pant on his shoe) and were stationary.  The romans were blackout lined for room darkening and privacy. 
 The romans were made out of a pretty pin tucked fabric as were the overlay swags.  My client called because one of the romans was not going up and down properly.  I used a rolled mechanism that has a continous cord loop to raise and lower the shade.  This rolled part gathers all the strings from the shade and winds it around a rod that twirls as you pull the cord.  The strings had gotten tangled, so I took it down and straightened it all out.
 So while I was there, I took some pictures of this pretty treatment to share with you.
In the adjoining bathroom we used just the roman shades alone. I like the tone on tone effect of the curtains and the walls, and after 6 years, this treatment is still looking fabulous!  The other thing I wanted to share was how much less I am making custom treatments these days.  I find myself being asked to install ready made draperies from Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware.  It is a sign of the times, and you can get a decent look most of the time by installing panels with the proper hardware from one of these stores. Still, there are windows that just call for a customized drapery and my current project combines the ready made with the custom aspects of window treatments.
 Here are the materials currently in my workroom~champagne and blue dupioni silk with an ivory trim.
The sneaky part is that the panels are 96" long Pottery Barn panels that I am going to embellish with a long ruffle and trim.
 A long ruffle is added to the bottom of the PB panel.  However that leaves the stitching line of their hem in plain view~not so nice, right?
 A flat embroidered trim will hide this line and add elegance to the overall treatment.
This is the collage board for my clients living room. These are the actual fabrics, furnishings, mirror, plates and rug we will be using in the room.  Her windows are very similar to the room shown in the collage with an arched top~I think you can see that these panels will look stunning!
 These are for an online client from Pennsylvania.  I have been working with her to decorate her living room, dining room and foyer and will be sharing befores and afters by the end of the year!  Next time you see these draperies they will be hanging in front of an arched triple window~her ceilings were very tall, and we were able to stretch the budget by doing a combination of ready made with custom details. Custom treatments are only as beautiful as the styles and fabrics selected, and the same can be said of ready made treatments too.
To see my custom drapery portfolio, click here.

linking to





Feathered Nest Friday!
and 
freckled laundry


19 comments:

  1. Love your custom work, Amy. I really like how the roman shades look with the drapery. Love the combination you did using the ready made drapes. I need to do something for the sunroom windows here. They have great shades for privacy but I want to add some softness. I had a bunch of white panels but they are too short. I think this may be the way to go and I can add a little fun to them by adding on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are pretty. Can't wait to see the reveal. My drapes in the sitting room are the PB dupioni silk panels that I purchased over ten years ago. They are a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize that you made custom window treatments. They look beautiful! You must be a great seamstress to be able to do that! I wish I had that talent. I'm a fabric glue gal. Ha! I really like what you're working on for your current client. It will be exciting to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you are sooooo talented, you are like a pretty onion, you just keep peeling back these layers and revealing more talents! So pretty, wanna come live with me for a few months? I have a window or two that will need some dressing!! Look foward to seeing the completed project, loving it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some attention to detail Amy! I can not even imagine trying to sew the pin tucked silk roman shade with black out liner...your talents just keep coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Gosh Amy!! Love all of these! The ones you are doing right now are fabulous!!! That long ruffle and trim at the bottom is just STUNNING!! I can't wait to see these complete and in her room!!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Amy,
    those curtains look gorgeous. Great work.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool Amy! You doing amazing work. Those first curtains are still beautiful after all these years. Such pretty fabric too...
    I'm lovin the beautiful blues your new client is working with... and i love the rug on the inspiration board... it really caught my eye. I know you're cooking up something wonderful, can't wait to see it all!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful!!! After seeing the inspiration board I can see why she chose you to help with the design.
    I also like the new pictures you put in your header very nice combination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The roman shades in the first photos are gorgeous! Just goes to show when you do something right, it's timeless. Can't wait to see your new project all completed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amy,
    I just love what you did with the Pottery Barn curtains. Adding the ruffle and the other color makes them look so elegant.

    You have such a wonderful eye for beauty.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my Amy! I love that color story and can not wait to see it when it is all done! Just wanted to pop by and say I saw your feature in Romantic Homes! How exciting! Hope all is well. Off to see what else you have been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so talented -- I love how you embellished these. They look 100% custom and amazing. The whole plan looks amazing -- I hope you post photos of the competed room!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Amy, your window treatments are gorgeous! What can't you do??? The PB pannels you are working on look amazing also, sure hope you share this finished project with us...your design board makes me want to see more!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe I'll have to consider pom pom trim, great idea! Thanks for leaving a comment on my vintage trailer post. I've been going back and forth with the curtains trying to decide....
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simply beautiful! Love the colors on your current project. Her fabric choices are lovely! Can't wait to see it when it's all done. Hope you have a grand Monday! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, this is spookie. Just last week I bought orchid duppioni to add to store bought moss duppioni drapes. Are we living in parallel universes?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I sew too so I appreciate the time, effort and quality that you put into these. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...