Thursday, September 15, 2016

A Shocking Green Paint for the TV Room



A picture is worth a thousand words, so they say.
This is our tv room, or man cave.  It is possibly the least photographed
space in the house, because I have always kind of hated this room.
With a photo shoot on the way, I kind of felt compelled to do something
about the room I hated so much.  Enter paint. 
If any one thing can change a room, it is the power of paint.
This is a good "before" shot, taken last Christmas. 
 You can see for yourselves the changes that were made.  
We edited out a lot of extra furniture and then
 I added new curtains and a rug and some pillows. 
The only other thing was the paint!  I took a risk and picked 
a green that was out of my norm, I wanted a fun and modern green.
Fun this was not.  
When it started to go on the walls, it was a yellowish green that
looked simply awful.  My son Brandon was helping to paint, and we were laughing but
kind of nervous....however I always think of the idea that most things look horrible before they look 
better, so we continued to reserve judgement until coat number two.  
(Although commentary included words like Frankenstein Green and Nickolodeon Slime.) 
Above you can see the second coat on the left, 
and one coat over the door and the wall on the right.  We painted out
the door because we have a sofa in front of it, so that makes it kind of disappear.  
However, this is pretty scary looking green, don't you agree?
After it was all painted, it was incredibly bright, but not as scary.
Just kind of scary.
We moved around some wall accessories and I added a big clock 
next to hubs favorite chair.  Curtains in a buffalo check from Country Curtains,
and a plaid indoor outdoor rug from Overstock.com were the new additions.
When everything went back up, the room came together nicely.
A vintage painted table in a black floral and some new pillows from
HomeGoods added a bit of femininity to the space.  I am so glad this
room is over, and the end result is that everyone LOVES it!!
I will say that when Mr. Maison Decor saw the first coat, he actually said 
outloud, "how could you pick such an ugly color??".  The next day when 
he got home and it was all finished he yelled, "ITS AWESOME!!".
Phew.  I was getting kinda nervous.  
But again, it's only paint and you can paint over ugly colors. Hahha.  
By the way, the color is Benjamin Moore, Basil Green, in Aura matte.
And it was definitely a two coat job. 
One more look....its a fun modern lodge look, to quote my pal Matthew Mead.
In other news, I am preparing for a Romantic Country magazine shoot
 with noted author, editor and stylist, Fifi O'Neill.  
She will be here next week, and I have tons of other things to get finished.
Colby is already exhausted from all of it as you can tell. 

 photo signature_zpsxi5q1w6r.png

10 comments:

  1. That room IS awesome! I ♥♥♥ it. It is a room where everyone will be smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! Well done Amy. Perfect look for a man cave. I am so excited for you having Fifi come to photograph your lovely home ...you work hard and it deserves to be showcased. Plus I am nosy and just want to see. LOL.

    Pace yourself girl and have fun!
    Janet xx
    The Empty Nest

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS.....I hope to see a pic with Colby and Fifi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. It shows originality and a much needed departure from Magnolia that everyone is gravitating towards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You were brave to try that color, but it really paid off. I think all of the masculine furnishings and colors help calm it down and it actually brightens the room (which it needed). Good luck with your photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From a mostly white house to a room that says "Hey, I have a split personality disorder....but in a good way." It's definitely a room with its own character. I think the color calms down at night....which is probably when you use the room most. It's bright and cheerful for daytime. Interesting choice of color but it does grow on ya ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it's certainly green☺. And it does look lively. Love the curtains. Funny side note, I was just looking at my latest issue of Country Curtains, and wondered why I hadn't seen them mentioned more on decorating blogs. I once painted my boys'room in a dark royal navy, and my thought process went a lot like yours. After one coat, my husband said,"well, you really ruined that room." Hah! It looked great when I was done. However, it was a trial to cover it up when we put the house up for sale. I love seeing what you have been accomplishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to read Romantic Country will be filming your place. I thought I read where they were going out of business. It don't sound like they are if Fifi is coming to your place.
    GOOD NEWS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, it looks fantastic! So glad you took a risk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kudos on using a bold color. I love all the soft neutrals but sometimes you need to break away. I just painted my master bath with Benj Moore's Green Umber and I smile every time I go in that room

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...