Thursday, September 8, 2016

Toile Curtains from sheets and an Amazing Decorating Book!

 Decorating is a never ending process for me. 
 A space should never get old or boring to your eyes and keeping things pretty and fresh is kind of what I do....all the time, in between my mom and housewife duties of course.  My kitchen is quite small and dark and has one window that used to wear a pair of lace panels.  Next, I made some green and white buffalo check panels, but moved them to our back door for privacy and light control. So I have been pondering what to do with the kitchen window, especially since the house is going to be photographed in ten days or so for Romantic Country magazine.  While shopping for bedding I ran across a set of twin sheets by Tommy Hilfiger, in a pretty green toile with deer and a woodland setting.  I decided they would make cute curtains in the kitchen, perfect for the cottage vibe I have going.
 Incredibly easy to stitch just a rod pocket at the top, and hem the sides, as I split the flat sheet into a pair of panels.  They are a 60/40 cotton poly blend so they should wash up without any shrinkage.  I think they are really sweet and add that bit of personality I was looking for in the kitchen.  
 The leftover bit is on the dining room table for now. 
Yardage with sheeting is fantastic and its easy on the pocketbook too.
And speaking of always decorating....
 Hold on to your hats!!  I have just finished reading and drooling over this new book from Leslie Sinclair, SEGRETO VIGNETTES.  Leslie is a gifted decorative painter turned entrepreneur, author and designer.  This is the third book she has written and its fantastic! Let me tell you about Segreto, if you are unfamiliar.  They are a company of incredible artists that create amazing finishes for the home.  From walls to ceilings, from floors to cabinets, you will never see finishes more beautiful than you will from Segreto.  Based in Texas, some of the most beautiful residences have been touched by the artists of Segreto.  What is so wonderful about this book, and her other books, is that you get to have amazing tours of incredible homes, one after another.  
 Leslie sent me some of her book images so I could share them with you all.  This dining room has a special plastered ceiling that has been polished with wax to give it a reflective glass like quality. Of course she did the walls too, and I love seeing the light fixtures and the beautiful furnishings in these rooms, don't you?

 This book not only discusses trends in fine finishes, but it also focuses on some of a home's rooms in particular:  The Kitchen, The Bedroom, and The Bath.  When she told me that part of the book shows off Bedroom Retreats, I was very happy as that is one room that has always been difficult for me in my home.  I hoped I would get some ideas and inspiration that I could steal and use for my bedroom.
After seeing so many beautiful bedrooms I came to the conclusion that I would need to start from scratch, hahah!  Well not really, but her lovely rooms all start from a calming zone of neutrals, and that indeed is one sure way to get a bedroom that is a retreat.  Of course many of these rooms have a french flair, and the fabrics and furnishings were just a treat to look at.  Look at the big trumeau mirror and the slipcovered chairs in the sitting area of this bedroom. A window over the bed is disguised with shutters and balanced off with drapery panels, creating a back drop for a pretty bed.  How to work with problem areas and use finishes and other tricks to are also covered in this book.  It is essentially a decorating handbook for creating a GORGEOUS home!! 
Ideas are worth millions.  At least I think so.  When I get my hands on something as special
as Leslie's latest book, Segreto Vignettes, I know it will stoke the fires in my imagination as it relates to my own home or other projects I may be working on.  Stenciling a wall can be so amazing, when it is done as beautifully as the Segreto team does it, and images such as this, make me wonder where I can create similar magic.  So get inspired and get your hands on what will sure to be a staple in your decorating library.  I still look at my first two books from Segreto, and I know this new book will get dogeared pages from repeated reference.  One thing I like to mention is that Leslie is a very lovely person, and she has been supportive to me in my business and family life.  She has created an amazing small business for herself, and I am so impressed that she self publishes her books to bring her portfolio, her ideas and her tips to us readers.  So best of luck Leslie, and I am proud to have your newest book in my collection. 
If a book loaded with heavy glossy pages of beautiful interiors and decor ideas interest you,
you won't be disappointed. I give this book an 11 on a scale of 1-10.

 photo signature_zpsxi5q1w6r.png

9 comments:

  1. Love the curtains!
    I just noticed that you removed your wonderful sink and installed marble countertops. I must have missed that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did change out the countertops, and so went the great washboard sink. I forgot to blog about the countertops so I will do so in the future...

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much Amy! What a lovely post especially from someone who is an excellent painter herself!! I really enjoyed writing this book and hope the information I shared inspires people with their own homes. I love your blog and love you more!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know painters will adore the latest addition of your published work, but the home decor enthusiasts will as well. Its so beautiful and full of info on how to get the right look for ones home. Kudos again!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Amy,
    Your kitchen looks beautiful as always! Love the rooms you have shared from Leslie's new book. Looks like a must for design enthusiasts. Thanks for sharing your lovely home.
    Hugs,
    Janet
    The Empty Nest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl, thanks for taking the time to read the blog. I know all too well that time is your biggest luxury. xo

      Delete
  4. I made gorgeous kitchen curtains from sheets back in the 80's. Loved them till I changed styles. One of the easiest sewing projects ever. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really easy to do, as you know! And if you want to change them out you don't have to feel too bad about it, right?

      Delete
  5. Love those sweet curtains!...So remember the days of making curtains using sheets...budget friendly and the width is great!....love that you carried the print into the dining room and yes, Leslie is so very talented...her books are amazing.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...