Friday, September 10, 2010

A Decorator's Paradise


What do these things have in common?
a luxe chandy with pearls and beads....

a hot pink bohemian sofa....

miles and miles of silks....
oodles of tassels and trims...

They can be found where all 
the decorators in the Boston area flock:
ZIMMANS!!!
This three story vintage building holds New Englands greatest
 collection of decorator fabrics, trims, and furnishings. 
Located in Lynn, Massachusetts,
 this family run business is over 100 years old!
They sell to the public as well as to the trade, 
so come with me and check this place out.

The fabrics go back as far as the eye can see. 
Get your plan in your head before you enter or 
you could be here all day distracted 
by all the lovely eye candy on bolts. 
I am a sucker for gorgeous fabric!

Lets take a peek upstairs. 
An Emporium!! 
Mahogany rails and pressed tin all over the place~
don't you just love it?

You can't turn a corner without something calling your name.
A sheer shade over a green silk shade...wow! 
Just look at the incredible light fixtures. 
This place has the best chandeliers, hands down.
Iron and pink pearls...
Petite crystal chandys..
they look beautiful in front of the pearlized tin wall!
But there is so much more to see...
A french settee with amazing crewel work

A pretty console with lattice windows 
in a shabby chic finish..


Sofas, tables, rugs, lights...
this post would go on forever if I showed it all.
Lets hop down to the cellar!
Follow me...
Guess whats in here?
Trims, Sheers, Remnants and more...

Row after row of trim, and if you can't find what
 you want check out the library of trim books to the left.
I was on the hunt for a melon pink beaded trim for my client.
This one may be the winner...
Its like being in the library of tassel trim. 
Shhhhhhhhhh!
Pillow forms, cording, upholstery supplies...
Zimmans has it all!
Bargain hunters can hit the remnant table
 and make out like bandits.
I've been known to grab a few myself.
Zimmans also makes custom window treatments, like I do.
They have a beautiful display of styles to help a customer choose.
Very nice!
If you need help finding something special, just ask Glenn. 
This guy knows everything!
Remember this name!
Then....
Tell Mike I sent you! 

Thats me with Mike Zimman.
Mike, I love your store!! 
Without Zimmans I would have a devil of a time
 running my business.
 Thanks Mike!

Linking to

24 comments:

  1. I'd love to learn to sew just so I could shop at Zimmans. Well, of course there is the furniture, but I've never seen so much fabric or trim in my life! Thanks for letting us tag along! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fabulous place, wish we had something that great here !

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH..MY...GOD! What I wouldn't give to spend a day in that shop! Especially the trim section. I love, love, love it! Heading off to their website now, I sure hope they sell online.. thanks for sharing the pics and letting me know what I'm missing out on.. lol!! take care, Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh, I love the crewel seat!!! It is all beautiful, but to be able to wander around and to touch everything would be divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could get into serious trouble there! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I soooooo want to go here! I don't think I'm that far fron there either!!! Thanks for sharing :)
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Amy, this is paradise ! If I would live there this would be my second home :-)

    Wish you a very sunny weekend !

    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this fabulous tour! I think I could spend days just looking at everything. I am going to have to get the map out to see how far this is from me. It definitley looks worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had to leave a second comment after searching your blog. I am so impressed with your curtains - they are absolutely stunning. You are quite the talent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, that store looks absolutely amazing. I would love to check it out. -c

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that place looks like somewhere you could be for the whole day- or weekend! Fantastic! Yards of fabrics, furniture, looks like so much fun!!!
    Thanks for sending me over to check out the buffet post - AMAZING post! So much fabulous furniture!
    It is crazy how incredibly expensive buffet deux corps are- insane! I am sooo lucky to have found this one, at the price I paid and that she held it for me until I got back from vacation! Must've been meant to be! I had no idea just how much it was worth until I got it home, inspected it more closely (found the old pegs, etc) and then did a little research. It really is incredibly beautiful! I LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Color me drooling! Thank you for sharing this resource. My daughter performs periodically in Boston, and I'll share this with her. Oh, my...the possibilities. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH my word Amy, that is a cornucopia of yummy delights to women like us, I am fainting right now at the sight of all that gorgeous fabric and trims! I had just read an article about Crewel work, I think I am falling in love with that sofa you took the picture of, I can just imagine it in my parlor, sipping tea and reading my stacks and stacks of design mags!!!HEAVEN!!!!!

    Wish we had something like that over here in my neck of the woods, but alas, we do not,how much to fly to Boston? Just wondering...

    XO,
    Donna Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful write up...and I love the photos...I am biased because it is my dad's store (mike =my dad) you captured the store beautifully through your photos and I am so happy to hear how much you love a place that is so dear to my own heart!! :) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi SJ! I saw that there was a link up from Facebook, which I don't do...and so that must be you! Thanks for commenting. You can see how my readers are enthralled with this shop. I am also going to do another post just on chandeliers at Zimmans. I just LOVE this store, obviously, and I am sure you are very proud of your Dad. He has always treated me so nicely, and remembers us little people! Great store, the closest thing I can think of like it is ABC Home and Carpet in NYC. I hope your dad gets a chance to check out the blog post~
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow... what a place! I'd have to bring a sack lunch with me because I WOULD be there all day. Thanks for sharing.

    Lori

    P.S. Love your new collage of pics on your banner/header.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness sakes! It's a diyer's dream place. Thanks for posting. I'm wishing we had one here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous place! I think I could spend the whole day there if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great place - thanks so much for your wonderful comment - much appreciated!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Amy -

    Looks like a fun fun place to shop. I saw your name on the Nate Berkus show list and was wondering if you were going? I am and would love to meet up with you if you are going to be there.
    My best- Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would think I had died and gone to heaven here! We have nothing like this in B'ham for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great write-up! You did a great job giving a "tour" through your photos and words. Zimmans is the only real fabric store left for us and its b/c they've always been overflowing with fabrics/trims. You are so lucky you live so much closer than I though... its a hike for me!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...