Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Beautiful Bedroom Set~painted in my house!! and so much more...

 My shop is busting at the seams with all the inventory 
I have been buying for both my Malden and Boston shops...
I will fill you in on Boston next time around~so that brings me to 
painting custom work in my own home!  I have heard once you 
start doing this you can never reclaim your house! But I will say it 
was very efficient and I had my two days off to get set up and create
 a workable system.  I laid out a huge plastic drop cloth over 
the entire room, and tossed my coffee table onto the couch. 
Here is how it looked when we brought in all the pieces...yikes!
 In the dining room I laid out the flat pieces like the bed 
and the mirror~recognize my chandy?
 Temperature controlled with air conditioning was great as it 
makes sure the paint and wax will dry properly in the summer heat and humidity.
 This bedroom set is really terrific looking with old world lines.  
My client, Suzanne, inherited this
set from her grandmother and we updated it with an 
elegant paint job in Annie Sloan™ French Linen with a decorative finish 
of dry brushing over the French Linen using a 50/50 mix with FL and 
Old White Chalk Paint™.  It came out stunning, and Mr. Maison Decor
 must have walked into the living room at least six times and told me
 how beautiful he thought it looked! That was a record for a response!!
 We painted the hardware as well~I like to saturate the dry brushing 
on the edges of the moldings and the carved details.
 Not everyone is so lucky to inherit such pretty furniture!
 The ladies dresser~

 That frenchy scrolled detail just came to life with the Chalk Paint.
 The headboard had a lovely shell motif as did the dresser mirror~

 After two coats of French Linen and the dry brushing I waited a day to start the waxing.  
You can see there is a lot of waxing to be done, and using the Ultimate Wax Brush ($34.98)
makes the job so much quicker.  It also leaves the wax on the brush, 
so you don't waste it as you do when applying with a cloth.  
I am happy to tell you that these will be in my online shop as of today~
as I have had so many people interested in this particular brush. 
Tips on cleaning the brush~use Dawn dish washing detergent
 when you are ready to retire your brush from its waxing duties.  
While I am in the middle of waxing projects, I keep my 
Ultimate Wax Brush in a non-latex surgical glove and it 
keeps it nice and moist.  Any wax brush purchase online will include 
one of these gloves for easy storage during use. 
 Back to the bedroom set~the dry brushing just makes the whole 
appearance of the set more sophisticated and elegant and totally
 jacks up the appeal!  I will do a tutorial on dry brushing in the future.
 Suzanne also got this lamp from her grandmother.  It will be 
getting a bit of a makeover as well~now please don't write 
and tell me we will ruin this piece!! Its going to be gorgeous!
 Listen to this strange thing that happened today! I had my picker Paul drop by 
with some furniture. I bought a couple of dressers from him 
and then showed him pics on my iPad of the set I painted above.
He told me could get me a similar set....I said really?
 He went to check it out and sent me these
photos, and it is the exact same set!! He looked in the drawers 
and it is made by the same furniture company.
The details and hardware are identical!! 
Isn't life strange like that?  So I bought it and I will be getting it 
tomorrow and will finish it for the Boston store!
 And my latest favorite thing to do is use my French Gilding waxes~
here I am gilding this old mirror with King Gold.
 This is the before of the mirror.  Slight gold on the inner 
rounded molding, plain greyish plaster on the scrollwork on the framework.
 This gilding wax is soooo fabulous~!
 I will continue to share its virtues with you.
It is also a product that can be found in my online store for purchase.
 It came out elegant and authentic~and look in the mirror to see what we are doing here at Maison Decor.
I shot this right before we left work...
 I was with Colin and snapped him checking his phone~so he had to laugh. 
They say America runs on Dunkins....and I will say yesterday
 I had myself a nice big iced coffee to give me boost to continue 
pumping out my workload.  Another mora in Cream and Old White is being worked on 
for a custom order...I still had to go home and continue the 
bedroom set, and on top of all that I finally got the lease for Boston!!! 
So stay tuned for more continuing shop adventures.  
My online store is at www.shopmaisondecor.com
The latest in my schedule is an Advanced Class, 
An Annie Sloan Shop Apprentice Day for big kids ages 11-16, 
and another Introductory Techniques workshop. 
Details about the Advanced Techniques class~Wednesday evening August 15th~
 We will create a large Master Board that will encompass
 many beautiful techniques, like metal leaf, decoupage, romantic overlay
 two color stencils, gilding waxes, craqueleur, and more~
Lastly I am considering dumping all my advertising...can I ask you if you find
it bothersome?  I do get a nice paycheck from these ads that help
me with my financial situation, but would you all LOVE it if I got rid of the ads?

Photobucket

32 comments:

  1. Amy that bedroom set looks stunning!! I LOVE the paint finish you applied on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy
    You are amazing where do you get all this energy!!!
    The set is beautiful you are so talented
    I don't mind the ads
    xxoo
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you are amazing!! this set is wonderful, and I love what you've done with the mirror. It would take more than iced coffee to get this kinda work out of me, te he!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't I nor do I think anyone else are bothered by the ads! We are to busy ready and admiring your work! And if I want to check on ads I do. Honestly think its a great way to pay for your steak tip dinners you so deserve! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, everything is so pretty. I love all of these pieces. Stunning. I don't mind your ads at all. I have them too. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, the bedroom set looks fantastic. One of my favorite color combos. I love dry brushing. Do be careful, however. I find myself doing way too many jobs inside. It can take over your home. No problem with ads, obviously. lol They do help with the bills. As long as it's done tastefully, I don't think it bothers most readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is s slippery slope once you start bring stuff home to work on. And that was sooooo many pieces! I doubt that anyone minds the ads. They probably only bother you. Bedroom set is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE Dunkin Donuts. I have to admit I'm wavering on the Chalk paint a bit but I'm sure the final finish doesn't truly convey over the internet. I've used milk paint in the past (kitchen cabinets and trim) with the milk paint clear coat for the finish and I love it. I noticed you are starting to sell milk paint have you used it on furniture yet, and is the finish similar to a chalk paint finish?

    Bridgemor

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful job on the furniture and the mirror, love the colors! I hate all the ads even in magzines. But if the check is worth it, I'm O.K. with them

    ReplyDelete
  10. The furniture is lovely! I don't mind the ads. Really, I just ignore them, lol, which I am sure doesn't make your sponsors happy, but it is the truth. These days, if it brings in extra income, I say that is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, Amy! The drybrushing really brings out the details beautifully. I can't wait to see a final shot of it all, including that lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always your energy and work are an inspiration! I do not mind the ads at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My Gosh! I just went to your online store, it's amazing! It's so professional and official! The dressers you painted look insanely gorgeous, and isn't it so "law of attraction" that your picker found the same set even as you're painting this one. Man, what a difference some Annie Sloan can make...
    I'm stunned at all that you are accomplishing, way to go Amy!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bedroom set in French Linen is gorgeous! The paint really brings out all the lovely details. Great tip on storing the brush in a surgical glove. Thanks for that one! I hate when my wax brush is still drying when I want to use it. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous dresser set! Yes this time of year I bring items indoor to paint too! Nothing dries out side in this humidity

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy, I will always read your blog even if you filled it with ads. Your work always steals my attention. Keep the ads and use the extra money!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok...only because you asked and I know you want me to be honest...dump it!

    I don't mind the side bar ads, but the pop up ones are really annoying...they get in my way and I can't see all your GORGEOUS content!!

    Thanks for letting me channel my inner Betsy Speert

    ;->

    Janet xox
    The Empty Nest

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in love with that set! It's sooo pretty with the FL and Old White! And it seems you didn't do much (if any?) distressing. I love that! Frankly I'm a little tired of the distressed look. I know ASCP could make a piece gorgeous without distressing ;-)

    About the advertising, truthfully I've never noticed it ;-) I guess because when I read your blog, I read your blog! My mind shuts out anything that's not your original content. I say if things are going well for you financially, I suspect you can do without the hassle of your sponsored ads ;-) (What do you think the sponsors/advertisers will say?)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always wow me, Amy. The bedroom set is gorgeous! Can't wait to see what you do with the other one!

    Ads? Nah, they don't bother me, as long as they aren't pop-ups getting in the way, which I haven't seen on your site. They do run me off on other sites.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your energy level never ceases to amaze me! This furniture is so elegant, and I really wish we could find things like that here.

    You asked about the ads. The reason I subscribe to the blogs I like to read is so that I do not have to look at the ads. When they come in email, I can see photos and text, period. And that is all I want to see. I understand many bloggers have monetized their blogs because they need or want the money, but it is very annoying on many of them just trying to find the blog post, especially on those with truncated posts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The bedroom set is stunning! The ads don't really bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amy...that set looks magnificent!....Your client has to be so very excited to have such wonderful pieces in her home....do you think she would share her furniture in her room as it is completed?....I cannot believe that your picker found the same furniture...Meant to be!!!!

    Now, was there much dust from the sanding process in your living room?...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Blown away over here!! You are like the paint princess...you can make anything look gorgeous!!!! Cannot believe the transformation with the bedroom..holy smokes, she must have flipped. Would LOVE to see pics of it all togehter in the room and the French gilded wax, so beautiful!!!
    I need to come visit you and let you work your magic:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Amy,
    Love that bedroom set. I would be so tempted to keep the other set that your picker found. It is funny how things just happen like that. I am sure it will sell quickly when you put it in the Boston shop.
    The ads don't bother me. I never really notice them on any site, I guess I am just used to not really paying much attention to the ads and just focusing on the page. Sort of like the sidebar on Google, I don't really pay attention to it,
    I just see the items that show up in the organic search area.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I must admit I am one of those who usually gasps when wood is painted....that being said I was blown away by how beautiful, beyond( words beautiful) the bedroom set looks....well done...I may paint something.....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Keep the ads, they are not intrusive on your content and do not detract from what you have to say. If it helps you out in any way to keep them up then please do.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Could that furniture be any more beautiful??? Seriously!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hadn't even noticed your ads (don't tell them that!) The other blogs are getting too heavy in ads and the pop up stuff is really annoying, but I haven't noticed any of those on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are amazing. I get tired just reading your posts! I think I will go take a nap now:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gosh, I love the work you do on furniture. Such talent. I could use the dry brush tut ASAP as I am painting some new pieces for my sunroom this week. Wish me luck. Wanna come over and help?
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...