Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Boston store: The raw space starts to transform~

 Ok here we go~this is my new Boston location in its raw format. Its a small space, less than 500 square feet
with tremendous vertical space. All kinds of materials on the walls, one to the left is brick, there is white beadboard and then two walls were covered in plywood.  There is a sink and cabinet bank in the shop which fits the bill for my purposes perfectly! 
 The big thing to handle first is the plywood wall coverings~I had 
a plan in mind which was to create a focal wall in the back using
 Annie Sloan's wonderful Chalk Paint™.  
Trying to achieve a rustic french market store
in this space~you won't be seeing much of the Feminine French
 I favor in my Malden shop~this store will have a different vibe~
 I mixed up equal parts of Chateau Grey and Paris Grey
 to make a color for the base of the back wall.
 Eyeballing it, I poured equal parts into this quart mixer cup~
 It created a lovely sage grey green color.
 All day long Colin and I worked inside the new space painting the walls.
  This is the view from the sidewalk if you looked 
up into my shop...the facade will be getting 
a transformation too, but first things first.
 We let people know what was going on inside by placing the small funky
 Antibes Green table out on the walk~every Sunday (and this was Sunday)
 there is a fabulous and well attended Vintage Flea Market called 
SOWA Vintage Market held right next doors in an open air setting.  
I had tremendous foot traffic passing the shop all day long.  
In the winter months the market is held indoors~
it will be a great fit with this store of mine that gives
 people options on reviving and renewing their old treasures.
 Colin and I started applying the custom mix of Chalk Paint™. 
 I added some water to make it easier to go onto the 
rough plywood and it worked very nicely with great one coat coverage.
 You can see it drying in stages~its super cool on walls.
 This was a first for me~painting walls with Chalk Paint™!! 
I was so excited to do it!
 See that spray bottle? I used it to apply another
mix of two Annie Sloan™ colors~Old Ochre and French Linen.
  I poured a bit of both in a tray and brushed it on 
with abandon and then spritzed and ragged.
 You can see the lighter sections...Colin was afraid I was 
about to ruin the entire wall~haha! I will admit I was nervous, 
but you MUST break through fearful thoughts when you 
are creating something that you can see in your mind's eye. 
 Its starting to take shape~
 Colin moved into the window display area to paint that floor,
 which was also plywood. Look at the funky Antibes table...
and look at all the people~
 It was so energizing to be in this scene!! I am totally 
pumped about this store and its location.

 The little table had handouts~all were gone by the end of the day!
 Here is the feature wall all finished up!! Its just what I was hoping for~
Next we needed to prime the bigger plywood wall as I planned 
to paint it white to balance with the white bead board wall on the other side.
 Me checking out the progress~
 YAY!! We are getting somewhere! 
Colin and I have a lot of fun doing these things together!
 My sunshiney boy~always up to the task at hand.
 He is looking forward to building the company with me.
 Another issue we were faced with was the floors~I had 
planned to paint them, but after a sample area we just 
were not feeling it...so I thought we should sand them....
which meant another thing to figure out.
 In the meantime, Justin came to join us in the painting.
 He will be running the store, and Colin will be
coming home on weekends to help him as we expect it to be very busy.
 Its such a great feeling to have my sons interested in what I am doing~
and all as charged up over Maison Decor and Annie Sloan as I am!!
 A head scratching moment was caught by Colin...lol
That kitchen sink area is going to look so neat when I am done.
It will be skirted and and the cabs will all be finished in a rustic style...
baskets on the top...yummy!
 A pose for the day~on top of the dreadful but wonderful old floors~
I had to go home and ask
Mr. Maison Decor if he would be on board for 
returning the next day to sand and refinish!!
 and that is just what happened~Mr. MD and Colin went into 
do the floors, and Justin and I 
headed to Malden to paint up pieces like this
 beautiful french console table in French Linen.
 I am finishing up this petite settee~its so sweet in the Provence finish.
Many asked about this clock~its in the online shop
www.shopmaisondecor.com
Many times I cannot write you a return email as often
you have a "no-reply" setting on your blogger ID.
So if I am not writing you back, that is why!!
After Colin and Mr. MD sanded the floors, 
we all went over to get Steak tips and Pizza!!!
Then at 8PM Colin and Justin headed back to Boston
 to apply the first coat of poly on the floors.
They look so much better than before~
it was two long days but we made tons of progress.
]
This little green table sits like a tiny beacon in the window~
it says:
"Annie Sloan is coming to town!!"



Photobucket

47 comments:

  1. Congrats Amy! The new store looks fantastic! I'm sure its going to be a raging success! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, look at those floors! I'm so glad you sanded them. That was the perfect choice. And, check out that foot traffic, talk about a prime location... I'm really excited about this little shop too... It's so fun watching all you guys putting it all together... Cool!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw- Amy- So far-so good! I love your new place! That back wall is just perfect-it looks old world and like it has been there 100 years. Neat idea with the little table out front...and LOOK at all the foot traffic-- Yeaaaaa for you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know i had so much fun watching Maison Decor come to life the first time and now we get to see it again but with a different look,you guys have worked so hard and the wall looks amazing!! can not wait to see furniture going in and i can totally picture the sink area how you just described it,its going to be fabulous!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so much fun, watching your stores come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you sanded the floors and are just covering them as is. That looks great with the walls. Oh what fun those boys are going to have there. They must be so excited. How nice that it's a family project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I catch up with your blog I am inspired to keep going. I would dearly love my own shop, like you say, I have it in my minds eye how it will look. Maybe my gorgeous son will join me too just like your lovely lads. Well done Amy, you are a true inspiration from across the pond xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that space!!! Small - vertical height...just how I picture a Boston shop. It's going to be beautiful. I really love that feature wall, Amy. (I loved the look of it as it was drying...almost concrete-ish, so I'm happy you took a risk and went back in with other tones.) You are fabulous and I too thinks it's awesome your two boys are on board. xo Jami

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amy,
    Congratulations! You and your family are pretty amazing! Love the way the floors are looking and the walls. Best Wishes everyone!
    Blessings,
    ~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fantastic, Amy. So much work, huh? So great that your sons are both involved. I love that. I hope when my boys get bigger they will help me out too! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great-can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy- you have such an eye for color. It is looking great. I like the green table outside, and then in the window. Keep people aware a new shop is coming. Cheap and effective advertising. Your boys are great to help you so much. Blessings Paula Lusk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Look at the height of those walls! I can't wait to see what you do to this new location, Amy. I'm sure it is going to turn out as wonderful as the Malden shop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should put a sign in your window telling patrons of what your store will be. You know, a "coming soon" type sign. People are probably very curious! I love the idea of a rustic vibe in this store. Looks like you picked a great location too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy I love seeing your stores come alive! You have two awesome and very handsome boys! Looks like a fabulous location for your new store too. The hubby and I have been to Boston quite a few times, looks like it's time to make another trip:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, tremendous progress. You know you are going to turn into a beef tip. Just sayin'. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, tremendous progress. You know you are going to turn into a beef tip. Just sayin'. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great space! It looks like there are a ton of people walking by which is great. The green table is probably attracting to the age group that it seems are walking by. Your walls look great. How much paint did it take to do them? I so want to try that paint but it is just so hard on a budget to justify spending that much on paint. I am thinking I may get hooked when I finally do try it. Your projects are great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy, you're wearing me out. I can tell this is going to be a stunning store, just like the other.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amy, it's looking beautiful! We're in the area for the week (Hull) so I'm going to try and navigate my way to Malden tomorrow!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  21. cooooool beans, amy.

    come visit soon.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Amy
    Its looking great already - cant wait it see it in person. Mimi promise to stop by in Boston with danny when it opens .

    Looking forward to meeting you.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Amy! I am just so very very happy for you! I just LOVE following your journeys with your stores and watching you transforming them into sweet, Frenchy shoppes! It's so much fun!!! It also makes me wish that I lived closer because I'd be wanting to work alongside you or for you! lol! Congrats on the leap forward, girlie!!! It's looking absolutely fabulous!!!!! ♥

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is awesome congratulations! Great idea to draw everyone in with the little table, it definately captured peoples attention. Best of luck with everything x

    ReplyDelete
  25. isnt it nice to be workin with your boys. it always makes life seem a little bit better, and seems to bring an extra closeness. i think anyway. enjoy your life with your boys. susy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh so fun! Good luck! Looking forward to your new adventure and watching your phenomenal energy!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looking good Amy! It's cool to hear that all of those pamphlets were gone by the end of the day. That's a great sign!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So exciting! The store is shaping up and will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So exciting, and I am loving the rustic French look! I just know this is going to be a big hit!!! Clock sold out fast! I look every day to see what you have, it's always great stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your new shop is looking great! And how nice that your guys are onboard with it. I love the idea of a family business. Do you have someone working at the first shop while you're working on the new one? How far apart are they? Just wondering about the logistics of it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! This is going to be such fun watching another Maison Decor come into being.

    Happy to know you boys and hubby are on board with your efforts. That's a blessing worth more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Amy,
    The Boston store looks like an amazing location. Wow, look at all the foot traffic. You guys must be so excited to get the store open. I am sure it is going to be a hit. Love all the new pieces you are painting, especially the french console table. The Boston store is looking great already!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You have made a ton of progress in a short amount of time, it must be so much fun being on this adventure with your family!

    What a great idea having the green table outside with the paint and flyers, a real eye catcher!

    You're on your way... to many things amazing... I can feel it!!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. You have made a ton of progress in a short amount of time, it must be so much fun being on this adventure with your family!

    What a great idea having the green table outside with the paint and flyers, a real eye catcher!

    You're on your way... to many things amazing... I can feel it!!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. How exciting for you. I wish you luck, my daughter will be in college in Boston so I will have to look up your store on one of visits.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am so in awe of everything you and your family are doing. Makes me wish I was younger so I could try something like this.

    I have a question -- I wasn't sure from the post, but where did that spray bottle come in? did you spray watered down paint over the base coat, or spray water over it to get that washed look? I really like the effect.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Amy, Your shop looks great so far, I have been following all your progress in this shop and your first one. Soo inspiring. My family is all involved in my business too. It makes it all worthwhile having them help. My three daughters and I all refurbish furniture too. Congratulations on your ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love how you placed that table outside...I am so very happy for you...so exciting to have such a successful first store to be able to open the second location!!...Congratulations...so very well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm actually closing the deal on our new vacation home in the Back Bay and have been looking forward to making the trek to your store and maybe attending a paint class. So excited to know you'll be in the area!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I can't wait to visit the store on my next trip to Boxton! I was thinking that a great rustic way to repair walls and give textural interest to flat walls is by using light weight joint compound. It's super cheap, $13/5 gal and applies so easily with a trowel and dries fast. Easy peasy rustic cottage walls full of waves and bumps and easy to paint/rag. I did my horrible kitchen and playroom walls and it looks great. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. fatastic progress amy. the back wall looks like concrete now. i think the sowa neighborhood will love that vibe. i couldn't be happier for you and it's just so nice that the boys are all on board too. don't forget to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Gosh Amy I go away for a week or so and come back to find that you have another shop! Wow, and it's looking fantastic too. I love the pieces that you've done and the new pieces you revealed on your latest post.
    I'm so glad that your sons will be working with you. How wonderful.

    Best Wishes for every success.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love the vibe of the location and the store. Can't wait to continue to read about this it is very fun and interesting to see it coming a long I love Boston!!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  44. You all are working so hard and the shop looks great. I love watching all the progress. Great work! Can't wait for the opening!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love to visit Sowa in the fall ~ can't wait to see your new store!

    ReplyDelete
  46. SO much fun, girl. We're finally taking the plunge in our area, and I can't wait to work on it. You gotta know...I've enjoyed reading your posts and I think my favorite part is watching your family work on your business together. Such a special, enchanting time for you guys! Blessings to you all!
    :-)
    shaunna

    ReplyDelete
  47. My goodness Amy, I am just now catching up with your progress. Your Boston Store is really starting take shape. It is so special that your boys are so involved. I wish you so much success!! I hope you are taking care of yourself. If you lose weight like you did with the first store you will blow away in the autumn wind. We can't have that!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...