Tuesday, August 14, 2012

French Hollywood Table~a washing technique


Each piece I do seems to become my favorite~
I had to share this one with you as it is the latest 
and my most favorite to date!
Colin took these shots of me working on the Rococo style coffee table.
He started this project by painting the table with Paris Grey Chalk Paint™.
The surface was heavily marred so I showed him how to 
do a heavy crackle surface technique.
However the things we did next made this table super cool! 
Lets start with the base of the table.
 I got out the Graphite Chalk Paint™ and using a chip brush 
I kept a cup of water to wet my brush 
and then got a bit of the Graphite on it and just brushed the
 watery mix across the Paris Grey surface.
Jabbing it into the ornate details and then using a cloth to rub it 
back so you don't get dribbly lines when the wash dries. 
 It creates a bit of a strie effect which is very nice. 
The darker wash settles in the lines of the legs
and carvings creating depth.
 Just work all around the table brushing with a wet brush 
and then ragging it back in a straight line.
This is a good shot of how dark it looks, 
but when ragged off it is more subtle.
 It looks fabulous! (She said modestly...) 
After we did the Graphite wash 
I showed Colin how to mix up a metallic glaze with the
 new guilding waxes (I carry these in my shop and online).
He detailed all the carved areas with the metallic glaze~ 
leaving a shimmery silver layer.
So this scuffed up but very pretty table went from this~
To this stunner!
If you want me to create a cool piece like this for your home,
I am painter for hire~! Or be inspired and try it yourself...
but either way let me tell you, this Chalk Paint™ decorative paint
 by Annie Sloan is really something stellar!


Photobucket

30 comments:

  1. Wow Amy it looks stunning!
    Such a great technique and the gilding wax really makes the whole thing pop! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks SO good! Almost plaster-y ;)
    Very la French for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy...I love the color and finish...you are truly an artist!!...Great table!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how that looks! It's such a beautiful shade of grey now. That's a great technique you used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way it turned out with the old crackle on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Amy! That table went from Plain Jane to stunning. Love the colors, the crackle and the gilding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy I love, love this table. First the grays and then the silver gilding are amazing on it!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    2012 Artists Series featuring Harrison Howard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! The color wash and gilding adds such depth to this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When i first saw that coffee table i thought it was fabulous, great size, shape, curves, details...
    I knew you were going to make it over the moon gorgeous, and you did!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the base paint treatment! Very beautiful but subtle.. great job! - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is refreshing to see someone who so enjoys what they do. I love that crackle technique on the topI used to crackle paint everything! I would look to see that look in white. Really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, you inspire me with every post. I just wish I could find the beautiful pieces that you find.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another amazing makeover- I need to just copy and paste my comment to save time, b/c you always do a fantastic job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing what paint and tlc will do - man. i wish i could visit your shop....sigh, someday - i will pop in to say hello. xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did such an amazing transformation Amy it looks rather classy the crackle paint was a good choice it adds so much character. Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Amy,
    Looks great, each piece you do just keeps getting better and better. It must be hard to decide which technique to use with so many great ones to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  17. really beautiful, Amy! I wish I could take that advanced painting technique class- that looks like a blast! Love the table, it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh...very pretty. I'm sure everyone will have a great time at your latest workshop. Can't wait to see photos of the new store inside. I hope you don't have too much to do to the inside. I'm busy doing some paintings for some customers. And working at the Pier of course and other stuff.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh...very pretty. I'm sure everyone will have a great time at your latest workshop. Can't wait to see photos of the new store inside. I hope you don't have too much to do to the inside. I'm busy doing some paintings for some customers. And working at the Pier of course and other stuff.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just gorgeous amy!!! hope you are having a wonderful summer!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, I've just stumbled across your blog, and your home and style has left me truly breathless! Absolutely gorgeous - ALL OF IT! Looking forward to settling back and reading much, much more!
    Best wishes from England - am now also following you on twitter!
    Paula xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job, you made this table unique, glad visiting your blog and following you in social media sites.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous, Amy! I love the way the dark and light settles into the nooks and crannies. The gilding wax does add a bit of beautiful glamour to it, too! I can hardly wait to try mine out!! :)

    Will you do a tut on using the crackling medium? It looks so cool!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  24. I sooooooo love this. This is absolutely a beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How did you do the crackle top?

    Thanks,
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...