Thursday, November 15, 2012

Creating an antique french look for a cabinet

An old cabinet gets an elegant aged finish that suits her~
This little music cabinet had lots of things going for it~
and lots of condition issues as well.
A bit of missing applique didn't make the piece any less desirable to me.
Some cracks in the curved front cabinet door would 
only look more antiqued when painted with Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan.
I used a base coat of Paris Grey Chalk Paint and then
 followed up with Old Ochre Chalk Paint, 
and some clear and dark wax.
This was how she used to look~a little forlorn but a beauty none the less.
The hardware had me at hello~
Surely you can see it too? 
Here she is with two coats of Paris Grey.
See how the cracks are evident now?
But can you also see how flat the whole thing looks?
Add another color that is close in tone to your first color if
you want to try your hand at dry brushing....too much of a contrast 
will make for a busy and unappealing piece.
Getting her dry brushing~
  
Soft strokes of Old Ochre are lightly brushed along the surface.
   Remember this old gold hardware?
I used my French Gilding Wax in Silver Leaf to change it!
Oh yeah!
Oh boy!
Um hmmm!!
What I had in mind for this is to make it into a little snazzy bar cabinet.
Bottles will fit nicely inside and cocktail napkins and such in the drawers.
The shelf is adjustable so you can lower it to fit the size of drinking glasses.
This cabinet looks more french, more antique and way more pretty!
And this my friends is how you can get the antique French look!

Photobucket

26 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,
    This is so beautiful now. I know it's thanking you for bringing it back to life.

    hugs
    sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love! I'm definitely going to try this colour combo. I think it would be perfect on a sideboard I have to redo.

    I recently found a little music cabinet myself. They are charming pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! I love how you highlighted the beadwork detail on it and changed the hardware to a silver finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, It looks perfect now. It is a really sweet makeover...and looks very Olde World to me- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. From ho-hum to fabulous! Love the hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy what a beautiful transformation! Love this color combination and technique!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is beautiful! I love how you changed the hardware color too. I wonder can you use that on shiny brass interior door knobs too?

    Thanks for the info on how to get the look.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a transformation! Wow...love it and the silver leaf wax was an excellent choice. BTW LOVE the gold wax, I have been having fun, a lot of fun. I am posting about it sometime over the weekend.....thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty piece and the hardware looks amazing with the gilding wax!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy,

    You did it again! Don't you just LOVE Chalk Paint?

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  11. amy, it's incredible. that finish just takes my breath away!

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness gracious... what a beauty. You totally made that little cabinet into a work of art. I think the handles just took me over the edge. Sigh... it's wonderful

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amy,
    that turned out wonderful. This will made a great bar cabinet.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did such a great job Amy! I am really loving the silver gilding wax on the hardware wowee! it looks gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderfull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very useful information about home repair Thanks for sharing this article with us!

    AC Service Miami

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now this is more "me"! I love the look.

    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yowzaa! that is one beautiful piece.... love it! Wanted to let you know that i'm lovin the Paris Apt Clock - so fun! thanks again, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been thinking this since I found your blog, couple of years maybe. But I just want to tell you what an artist you are with your paints, you redo absolutely beautiful pieces, your eye for color, just everything about your work is gorgeous. Blessings Paula

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amy featured your gorgeous store in my post today.....and thanks for the paste again, having a ball with it!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...