Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey~your way

 Grey is the base color of the decade~
its the darling neutral right now and it is the most popular color requested 
at Maison Decor for custom painted furniture jobs.  
You can pop open a can of Annie Sloan's Paris Grey 
and get a nice grey color, 
or you can explore your options by color mixing.
 Another decorating trend is metallics in furniture~
and by using these exciting accents you can totally change
 the look or add a subtle hint that makes your piece much 
more special.  At the shop I have been playing around with gilding waxes, 
gilders paste and now pearl plaster.  These 3 things in my tool box
 have made painting more sophisticated and a lot more fun!  
 The idea of color mixing isn't new, but with Annie Sloan's paint line,
 these Chalk Paint colors suddenly open the door to
any shade you need or want~hence Fifty Shades of Grey! 
 Even after mixing colors to get the grey you want, 
you can use decorative paint techniques to enhance
 the base coat by color washing or dry brushing another shade of grey on top.
 The end result can be stunning!
 So don't stop learning all the ins and outs of painting furniture~
 Your piece can be as lovely as you make it~
 Create two color combinations like this one using Paris Grey and Old White.
 Embellish your pieces with furniture appliques~
 Explore the sexy world of flash in a can~Pearl Plaster!
 Or just gild the details of your antique piece after its been painted grey~
 Distressed and gilded can live together~
the rustic luxe look is quite appealing!
 Experiment with Silver Gilding wax~the results can be totally amazing!
 This formerly gold candelabra is now a silvery delight 
by using grey paint and silver gilding wax.
So if your style is country or glam~Grey is you go to color.
Add metallics or distressing or both.
Create your signature style by taking a class
 with me at my Maison Decor studio.
For the Fifty Shades of Grey furniture painting class
sign up here~and get your grey on!


Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful paint colors Amy. You look like you are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bedroom is now Paris Grey with white trim.

    I had the color duplicated in Behr's Premium Plus Ultra and it was very true to the AS chalk color. If Wedgwood china was grey & white, this is what it would look like. It is *so* peaceful and serene - it's like waking up in a cloud.

    I mixed it 50/50 with Valspar's "String of Pearls" for the damask stencils on either side of my dresser mirror, as well as for the French phrases "Bonne Nuit" and "Beaux Reves" that are painted around two vintage oval frames in which I inserted mirrors.

    Now that I have power again, I'll try to post my standard bad-quality photos on my blog :D

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    So long was the time to visit you.
    You're the master of a complete paint from good to better I see.
    I really like painted.
    Loves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy I love the grey tones! I am really going to have to try these paints. Take care.

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your painting projects!Thanks for the tips.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love gilt and distressed paint...something of a dreamy quality!
    Always inspired here!

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your class sounds like fun. Can appreciate the beauty of the grays but gray is just not for me. Creams and make me swoon.
    Will you be offering Annie Sloans newest workbook for sale? Hoping to purchase one. Thanks.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some beautiful examples of what can be done. Thanks for posting! Lately I seem to be obsessed with gray myself.

    When I see your furniture done in gray with slight distressing, I think of old French castles graced with furniture that once was pristine; the royalty that once lived there are long gone, and now what's left is aging beauty: remembrances of elegant days gone by.

    Some day I might get this look in our home...but for now, I get my "fix" by reading your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful jobs, wonderful shop and specially wonderful Justin!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...