Thursday, December 27, 2012

February Classes and a Silvery Grey Sideboard


 The latest painted piece in the shop is this Silvery Grey Sideboard. 
Its quite large and has great lines and storage.
 I found it at auction and this is how it came into the shop~
all two tone brown with scratches and scuffs but in solid overall condition. 
 I was going to go for a Gustavian look with this piece.
 This time I planned to use quite a few things like Chalk Paint
in addition to a couple of other things like the Artisan Enhancements 
Pearl Plaster and French silver gilding wax.
The piece got a coat of Zinsser clear  shellac after it showed me 
it was a bleeder...that meant I could see staining coming through the first areas
 I painted. After the shellac dried, I coated the piece in 
Annie Sloan French Linen for my base coat. 
 Then I mixed up a batch of Ironstone MMS milk paint 
and started applying that in a random and layered way.  
I followed that up with some Old White Chalk Paint
until I got the look I was going for~
It was looking soft and weathered and silvery grey....
You can see how the white would stick in the crannies of the piece...

After it was all dried I added Pearl Plaster to the Ogee edges and the fluted ends.
After the Pearl Plaster I waxed, then highlighted with Silver Gilding Wax.
You can see the understated sparkle~
It really looks lovely~!
If you want to get more comfortable with painting furniture using 
Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan consider taking one of my 
Introductory Workshops.  I refer to is as my "everything" class
because you will learn how to use the paint and the clear and the dark
waxes, when to do what and when NOT to do this and that...you will use the
French Gilding Wax and create take home samples to inspire!
My January classes are sold out, but not February.
 My February classes will be on Sunday Feb 3 and Sunday Feb 24. 
The 3rd has 4 slots left and the 23rd has 6 slots open...
so sign up early if you want to be included by going to my online shop.
You can see most of the furniture we have for sale and other goodies too,
 like our complete line of Chalk Paint books, brushes and fabrics, 
Pearl Plaster, Gilding wax, gift certificates and home decorative items.





Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece Amy!
    You are so talented and have so many techniques and finishes to share at your classes i bet they are fantastic to experience x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty piece Amy. You've done it again!!!

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. someday i will visit those fabulous shops of yours!!!

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Amy this is the most beautiful piece I have seen! I want to try the Pearl Plaster!

    Wishing you all the best in 2013!
    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful Amy!Thanks for sharing this technique!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Talk about Patina! The piece has so much interest and depth now... you're the master of using different techniques and tricks to bring out the richness and personality in a piece of furniture! If only i lived closer i would soooo be attending your classes...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a beauty!! Where is this store? It look 100% better after you painted it ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...