Friday, December 14, 2012

Mahogany table gets the Weathered Grey Belgian look

Note: New Store Hours for Boston
524 Harrison Ave
Closed MON/TUES
Open WED-SUN 11-4

 This is a Duncan Phyfe style mahogany table that is common to New England~
it is equated with a standard of living that many aspired to or did indeed enjoy.
My client found this table on Craigslist and thought it would be perfect for her 
smashing new condo  in Charlestown Mass~but with one little twist.
She wanted it to look like weathered wood~
a soft grey and cream bleached out look,
kind of  an elegant driftwood effect.  
Nothing like the traditional days of old....this table 
is going to be the perfect blend of history with style!
And so she came to me with her request~and this is how I did it.
Take a look at how reflective this surface is~
you can see the paint cans from the shelves.
That required a light sanding of the wood to break the surface tension
to assure the paint could grab and hold.
 After making a few samples for her to select from, she found the perfect one.
 I got to work on the table by sanding, then applying Annie Sloan's wonderful paint 
in two coats of grey, letting them dry in between. 
 For large pieces like this, I have to paint them right in the middle of the store/studio, 
so I put paper plates under each leg and commenced. 
I covered the brass claw feet too,
using my Annie paint brush shown here. This is the first coat~
make sure you put a nice even coat but don't
go overboard and load it on so thickly...
the second coat will fill in any of your brush strokes.
 Then I got to the decorative finish.  The effect called for a 
dry brush technique which is essentially using a dry brush to
 add another surface layer of paint. 
 The key is to be consistent with your strokes.
The left side is two plain coats, the right side shows the dry brushed area.
 Old Ochre over Paris Grey~
 See the brush strokes? 
You want to see the brush marks...this is the effect you are going for.
 This table had 3 leaves. It is important to do it 
all at the same time so you have the consistency of application.
You can see the sample piece between the leaves.
 After I wax it, the color will change to the sample as the wax darkens the color.
 I put all the leaves in place to check on the overall effect. 
I would do  the final dry brushing with them in position.
I dry brushed this table around 3 - 4 times
 with light layers to get the look I was going for.
 It was very handy that Mr. Maison Decor popped in
 to my shop to say hi (and ask if I had lunch for him).
  So he helped me get the leaves in the table as there 
can be no room for error. 
Four hands are better than two at times like these...
and I couldn't pull the table out by myself either. 
I ponied up and bought him a steak tip lunch from the restaurant across the street
and he helped his dear wife with her task and then sat back to watch me start the waxing.
(Hey Laurie from Heaven's Walk blog~that's your Christmas card on my counter!! Thank you!!)
See how the color darkens up as you wax? 
It also makes the colors feel richer and more complex.
I love seeing the wax go on...but it takes some muscle!
 Work you r wax in a section at a time and wipe off 
with a clean cloth as you move along.  Tomorrow it will 
be buffed out and another coat added for extra protection.
Its getting late at Maison Decor! I still have to finish waxing...but wanted to 
share this with you before midnight rolled around.
When it is all finished I will hopefully get a pic of it in its new home to share.
It will be sitting in front of a suede banquette.
Its going to be going right there!!
 On top of ebony floors it should look pretty amazing!
 There are all shades of grey, cream, white and black in this 
space and the yin and yang of the weathered table
 with the crisp black and white should be stunning. 
 On another note I wrote about the new pillows made by Betsy Speert last time.
I came up with a quick but  chic tag for them and plan on sharing the how tos next time.
 You can use these for Christmas gift tags as well and they only cost pennies to make.
 I've been enjoying my WORKBOOK journal too~I feel like a kid again being free to cut and paste and draw and paint inside of the pages....
 Make sure you take a look at mine if you ever pop in,
 or get one for yourself as a Christmas present!
And finally~look who rolled back into town for his long college winter break!!!
My delivery guy! (And right hand man around the shop)
Lots of work is headed his way,
and his tired mom is sooooo glad he's back!

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. so love your shop. The snowflakes on the windows are adorable and Betsy's pillows look so good in your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy you are accomplishing so many great things! That Duncan Phyfe table is amazing in its greys!

    I know your business will keep growing by leaps and bounds!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!
    Those pillows look wonderful!
    That Betsy is one great gal!!!!
    Oh, yeah.......the paint job on the table is pretty good too.....
    Signed.....annonooooomous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks so amazing, amy. makes me truly want to paint my table and hutch AGAIN! it's an illness.

    happy weekend to you, miss brilliant.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I love the table! It looks fantastic. Wishing your family a happy holiday. Hope you have fun with your son while he's home. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing a wonderful job with it all, Amy. I am so glad that your son is back to help you out a bit. I love your shop hours. They are good hours. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the table Amy. I am amazed at your dry brushing talents. I really want to give it a try but fear steps in. I do have a piece for the bedroom that may be my practice piece. Hey doctors practice all the time why not with a piece of furniture. If my attempts fail all that is required to fix the problem will be another coat of paint.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely job on your table! You are so talented!! I am so inspired to take on all the projects that I keep thinking of ever since I found ASCP but haven't started! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas!! Happy Holidays!!
    xo Colette

    ReplyDelete

  9. Your shop is ahhhhhh mazing !!!!!! I love everything there . I found myself going OH I love that Furniture back there and that and this.. I would be a regular at your SHOP !!! Just stunning......... I love your blog and your painting is just amazing.. GOD bless you and your business ... Sherry @ The Rusty Pearl.. Stop by my blog when you can

    ReplyDelete
  10. The table looks terrific and will be gorgeous in that space at the client's house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! The table is transformed! It's gonna look so good in place. I love reading about the techniques you use, and your explanations for why you do each step. I'm really enjoying seeing your workbook too. It looks fun, and I can imagine it's just perfect for an artist like you!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...