Monday, August 16, 2010

Our Vintage Baby Grand Piano

I bought this painting last year at an antique shop in NH.
The glamorous mother in a yellow gown plays
as her daughter watches her in this very grand room. 
This painting captured me, as art should.
Did I know I would be getting my very own piano one day?
A friend who is relocating to Florida offered it to us!
It was her mother's piano and her very favorite possession.
I was honored to have it come to our home.
Would you like to see how they move a piano?
Death Wish Piano Movers 
I think their company name is unforgettable!
 *chuckle*

 The piano is on the flatbed of the crane
 wrapped in a blanket.

It is getting hoisted up and onto our side porch.
Hubby watches them move it carefully past the wires
Its being unhooked now and placed on a dolly
In through the side door...
I had moved everything off the front porch:
the wreath, the urns, the watering cans, 
the furniture on the lawn...
only to find them using their crane and 
popping it up over the railings on the side porch!
Through the kitchen and the dining room...
Here it comes, into its new room!
The dead corner by the stair case was going
 to be perfect for this baby grand!
There were 3 guys doing this work.
They screwed the legs and the lyre back on and then 
using a special tool you can see attached
 to the bottom of the piano here,
they roll it over onto it's legs!
The legs and the tool before they attached it.
Hubby sits down right away and tickles the ivories.
His grandfather was a piano tuner!
Guess who will be making a 
new cushion cover tomorrow?
This vintage Janssen Piano is gorgeous.
 It has pretty legs and carvings~
one fitting for Maison Decor, n'est pas?
So my painting found it's perfect spot....
All of my favorite colors and such a romantic painting.
I'd love to know the story behind it.
Welcome Baby Grand!
The next day I had to style it.
A pair of crystal candlesticks I had from when I bought
Mrs. Mahoney's house and some of her furnishings.
I love them!
I understand she bought them in Spain.
 I have never seemed to find the right spot for them until now.
The darling little ceramic girl in the aqua dress
 was made by my Grammy in her ceramics class.
She looks perfect with our new aqua rug
 and the ladies in the portrait above.
Add a dash of vintage sheet music from my hubby's cousin....
Voila!
Our lovely piano!
What a treasured gift from a friend~
 Thanks Sara!

22 comments:

  1. How exciting! Isn't it wonderful? I wish I were there right now to play it. The room looks as if the acoustics will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sure wasn't a "do it yourself job." The piano looks so perfect in that corner and the painting is a perfect compliment.
    Great job....and thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I am SO JEALOUS"!!! I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your Baby Grand... I want one SO bad, now I have to find a friend that's moving to Florida, hehe... That is the most GORGEOUS one I've seen, and it's PERFECT in that spot, not overwhelming the room, JUST like that corner was MADE for it! The picture is incredible... Do you have any antique sheet music...The artwork on them is to DIE for and would Look so pretty displayed on the piano...
    I DO NOT like the name of the movers, OH MY, it makes me think of watching "Laurel*Hardy" move a piano. I'm SURE a guy named the company, hehe...
    I'm smiling ear to ear just looking at the pictures, you MUST be sitting there in the room with it staring at it... I think I would sleep on the floor in there for about a month and keep pinching myself to see if I was dreaming...
    "Enjoy your new treasure"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, thanks for the great idea of the old sheet music! I did have some, believe it or not, and I ran to set it up on the piano!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so beautiful that it makes me want to learn to play...what a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful Amy! The picture does look great with the piano and Grammy's ceramic doll is perfect there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The name is so funny! OMG what a job to bring it in! Hope you stay in that house for a long time :) Thanks for sharing it with us!
    x
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic gift and it looks so perfect in that corner! Love the painting above it and those candelabras are to die for! It's great when things just come together like that.. take care, Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a friend who is a designer. He has a baby grand in his livingroom and doesn't play.
    He has it just for looks and I can see why.

    Yours is beautiful. Looks perfect with the candlelabra and the little doll.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess this wouldn't be a good object to change your mind on! Oh my gosh, what an ordeal to get it in.

    It's GORGEOUS. :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Piano is gorgeous! And so is your neighborhood that I see in the background of those photos, Amy! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy Cow! That's incredible Amy, thanks for sharing all the moving pics too, how cool, I love the piano movers' co. name. Perfect spot for it! Isn't it funny how you hold onto something for years, then you finally find the perfect spot for it? Like it was meant to be : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I meant to say I love the new pics in your header too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Loved this post. The piano is beautiful, one of the prettiest ones I have seen. I'm loving the new header too.
    Londen

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautiful! Everything looks wonderful on and around the piano. Fits right in perfectly.
    Debbie@houseatthelake

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Amy what a fabulous piece! Congrats! Oh I wish I had the space for an old piano too. Lucky you!!!

    Oh and btw I'd like to thank you very much for the kind blog award!I'm not counting awards and I do not publish them on my blog because it is award free, but I thank you deeply that you thought of me and find my blog inspiring!:)

    xoxo Carola

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is really fabulous even if it were only there for looks and no one knew how to play. A baby grand adds presence to a room like nothing else can do. Please continue to share it with us if you make changes. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I HAVE HAD THIS PIC NOW FOR 15 YEARS HANGING IN MY BEDROOM

    ReplyDelete
  19. I HAVE A PIANO BUT ITS NOT A GRAND PIANO, WHICH REALLY ACCENTS THE PICTURE. YOUR HOME IS BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete
  20. I FOUND THIS PAINTING WAS DONE BY REMBRANDT

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you know the serial number on the piano? I myself recently purchased a Janssen baby grand and would be interested to know what you and your piano tuner think of it!
    Thanks,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  22. How much did the painting go for? My sister inherited my Grandmother's print. I know my Grandmother purchased hers about 1945(ish)in San Francisco. The price on the back was $165. (A lot of money back then) It has a name on the back of our copy. Can you please email me? Hotwheelwoman@hotmail.com (Subject line: painting)

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...