Thursday, July 19, 2012

Settee in pastel colored Chalk Paint™ and dark wax!

 Pastels are my favorite shades to use in decorating.
 I love the variety of soft colors in the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint™ line~
and I decided to do a Chippendale style settee in the pastels
 to take away the formality of the piece.
 First step was two coats of Old Ochre Chalk Paint™.  
No sanding, no priming~just painting.
 My new favorite neutral~
 Painting things with legs is tricky. Its nice to get it up off the
 floor and be able to turn it in different positions to 
make sure you have everything covered.
 After the base coats were applied, I brushed all the leaves with Versailles. 
This color with Old Ochre was a great combination~I considered stopping there..
.but I really had a vision in my head, so I kept to plan.
 Next I added Antoinette and a color that I mixed up for
 my Tiffany chairs~closest to Duck Egg blue. 
I brushed them on as I went using a little bit of this here, and a 
little bit of that there~
 Until I ended up with this~a mix of soft pink, blue and green on a creamy base. 
After I was finished with all the pastel detail painting, I covered it in clear wax. 
 The dark wax would be following, as I wanted this to feel more sophisticated 
and not so little girlish~and that is what the dark wax 
does to the Annie Sloan™ pastels.
 Here is the leg detail with just Old Ochre~
 Here it is with the  pastels, now  getting some dark wax.  
 I brush it on so it goes in all the crevices and on top of the surface~
 It looks like a big scary mess~
 Covering all the pretty pastels in the dark brown wax~
 I do section at a time and then rub off the dark wax 
and am left with a beautiful result~
So don't be afraid to use the dark wax~
 Its still pretty, just not so sugary.
 The store is really full with  new pieces, so it was hard to find a spot to take its picture!

 This morning I moved it again so I could look at it from my desk...'cuz I love it!!!
 And see that brown coffee table?
 Its going to look fabulous all done up frenchy style
 in the Chalk Paint™ by Annie Sloan™.
 So many things to paint....so little time in my day! 
 I will be hosting another Annie Sloan™ Introductory Workshop 
on Sunday~2 spots are left, so its not too late to sign up and join in! 

Oh and this pretty antique chandy is going in my online store today too!
linking to
Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Friday 


Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Ooooooo, i love the old ochre too... what a yummy color. The settee is fabulous, no wonder you want to be able to see it from your desk. And, I'd LOVE to get my hands on that coffee table, it's wonderful!!!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the technique you have used Amy it turned out beautiful and it looks so much prettier than before,great job!
    Maison Decor looks more beautiful every time you blog it,i so wish i could attend your class xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bench looks wonderful. Love the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy you have done a wonderful job on the settee you are so creative with the chalk paints and I can see how beautiful it has turned out with the dark wax. I am in two minds whether to use the dark wax on my dining table at the moment its drying. Simply inspiring. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,
    LOVE this piece.Antoinette is one of my favorites.All those colors work so well together.And adding that dark wax only enhances it.
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. That settee is just so pretty, Amy! I love how you painted the details. Just enough dark wax, too. Love it ~ get your looking at it in now, because I'm sure it won't be there long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been looking forward to seeing the Settee and I am not disappointed! I love the color you added to it. It looks great! That coffee table is awesome too--love those legs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooo, it turned out so very lovely.

    you are rocking storehood sista! filled to the brim. i love it.

    you gotta see the chandie's i featured on the muse today....they're hanging outside from trees. it must look heavenly at night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOW GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! Love what you have done with it, you have such vision. The store is looking fabulous.....keep up the great job, cannot wait till I can take a road trip and head up to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This setee got a new life and now it is a masterpiece! I love love love your great color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of the best posts I've seen showing a step by step transformation using the paint and the wax...not a tutorial, obviously, just a really good depiction of how each step looks. Thanks!

    (It turned out great, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course it's so pretty! I know that table will look great painted too. What doesn't look good painted? Every time I hesitate to paint something because it looks good as is...it always looks better after its painted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy it's beautiful the pastel colors just right for this little settee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I looked at your online store to find the paints for sale. How much is it to buy and ship the Annie Sloan Paint? I love the new color, Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Amy,
    Looks great. I sooo wish I lived closer. I love your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very beautiful!!!
    I love it!!! I'm sorry...I am Brasilian and my english is not very good, but i love you blog and your works.
    Kiss!!!
    Eli

    ReplyDelete
  17. The settee is just gorgeous!! One of your customers, Cheryl, came into my shop today! (she buys Chalk Paint from you, really sweet lady) She came to see the cute little frenchy desk I posted about!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you thank you thank you!! I have that same bench and something was just not right about it. Now I know what to do :-) Dark wax it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...