Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How Window Treatments Can Make a Room

 This was my vision of how I imagined this bay window to look when completed.
The inspiration point of the design came from the upholstered chairs.
There should always be a starting point when you develop a plan,
 and in this room, the chairs were it.
A painted green table in wood and iron was also
 part of what I envisioned to complete the seating area.
 The naked window with the club chairs 
and a table that would soon be going elsewhere.
 Side panels in green linen hung from wooden rods
 in a bronze finish frame the space.
The ceilings are low and have wooden beams,
so hanging the drapes outside the bay and up high
creates a sense of height and balance in this room.
Dressing the top of the armoire does the same trick.
Adding roman valances takes this space to the next level.
The table has been replaced with a custom painted french magazine table.
It was done by Bridget at The Rehab Boutique.
I have bought a ton of french style pieces from Bridget.
You can sign up for her email which shows her latest creations,
and that is where we spied this table.
It was in blue and I had Bridget paint it green.
The romans are needed to carry the width of the big bay.
A multi-color tassel in red, green and camel trims the bottom of the romans.
One pair of drapes on the outside of a large bay is not enough to do the job.
We used a rustic red fabric with small gold pattern to marry the fabrics in the room.
This room has a classic den/library feel to it with
 the handsome wood bookcases surrounding the fireplace.
 Recently I posted on step one of this installation
 where the kitchen window was done.
It is important to have your rooms sequence, color wise,
 into the next room to achieve flow.
The kitchen is open to the family room so 
all of the fabrics have to mix, but not match.
You also want to mix the scale of patterns.
This large scale pattern was made into the kitchen treatment
 and the pillows for the sofa.
Calico Corners, "Dyson", a  washed upholstery weight fabric~
was the star fabric of our decorating plan.
Look how it ties in the red and camel striped chair,
 the red and gold romans, the green linen and the gold walls.
The bay window has been transformed into an inviting spot.
A room that is now balanced with color and pattern.
In my humble opinion, the window treatments make the room!
linking to


22 comments:

  1. I agree! The window treatments really stepped it up a notch. Love the roman shades and how you repeated it on the other window without the drapes. You did an awesome job!
    Thanks for sharing the good tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great, Amy! I love the roman valance and the fabric shown on the pillows on the kitchen stools. The side table is beautiful. I like how you can see into the room from the kitchen and it really does flow nicely together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy the new window treatments look beautiful!! What a great room! Martina

    ReplyDelete
  4. The window treatments totally made the room. Love the table as well. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Amy, the window treatments do make the room. I love how you used the roman shades in one color and pattern and the drapes in a solid green. I hope you were happy with the table, the color looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they make the room too, Amy ! Everything goes together so well and the fringe is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy - you really changed this room. It looks so put together. Before - it was OK...a rooms nost homewoners would be OK about. But - aftr the window treatments, the table etc - it really becomes a beautiful roon! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy! Oh, you did good! The window treatments are just beautiful and really transformed this space - which I just love. Those chairs are so pretty and the little table is perfect! I'd love to have a big ole window like that! Then I'd need you to come and make it pretty! ;) This is a lovely house and would love to see more of it.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree, window treatments can make a room sing. If done right like yours, the enhance a room and warm it up. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful, Amy. I am horrible when it comes to drapes which is why my home is either simple sheer, white voile curtains or Romans. I love the look of patterned window treatments in other homes though. I had a white Roman shade on the picture window in my living room. Seeing this makes me think that maybe I should bring it up from downstairs and hang it along with my voile on either side. The picture window is large with two narrow windows on either side. The roman just covers the middle section. Do you think that would look funky? Should I make Romans for the two narrow windows too? Don't want to block that precious sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They totally make the room. I love how all the colors tie together now, with the kitchen valance and the pillows... And painting and adding the little round green table was perfect... it lightens the room just the right amount. Great job Amy.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful window.....I love big windows like that....and the window treatments really adds so much character to the window and the room! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This room is stunning!!!! I love everything about it. I'm in the process of fixing up my living room and I'm at the point where I need to sew drapes and valances. I'm just dreading it. :) But your post motivated me. :)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful job Amy!
    I am a huge lover of window treatments. They really make a room!!
    Love all the patterns in this room!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me again. Did you design this entire space or just the windows? You should link it up tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amy! I love the room! I miss you - been so busy. The room and the window treatments are just perfect - gorgeous and cozy. Hope all is well.

    Michelle
    www.newengland-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amy this turned out beautifully fresh and light with all of those windows!! Love it as well as your site

    Come and enter my fashionable giveaway from The French Basketeer!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful, cozy, elegant and inviting room! I love how the windows came out..beautiful without being too overdone or fussy. Just the perfect crowning touch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks fantastic Amy! the window treatments definitely create a sense of place in a room and finish it off, totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Amy - I soooo love the roman shades! The room looks so much better after you revamped it with the window treatments. You're such a talented designer.

    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks very Beautiful !! You are very talented !! Have a Great week!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...