Tuesday, March 27, 2012

French Vanity Seat


 Part of the bathroom makeover includes 
a remake of the vanity table and bench.
 The decorating style is French, of course~
This very old vanity bench sat in an antique shop
 in New Hampshire until I rescued it~
Then I did this to it. I upholstered it in a thick matelasse quilted cover
and painted it in old white chalk.
Now it needs to be frenchified so it fits the new style of the bathroom
 so I started by upholstering the seat cover in white linen and roses.
 This is pretty easy to do, just cut a square and start stapling
 at opposite ends, North, South, East and West.  
Pull tightly on the fabric so it stretches 
around the cushion frame and then zap in your staples.
 Do the entire perimeter with lots of staples, 
I used 9/16" size so it would go
 through the layers of fabric and into the wood.
 Nothing too pretty~doesn't need to be.  
Trim off the excess fabric and your done with this part.
 I loved this linen print I found on Etsy.  
Etsy is a great place to find small remnants 
of high quality fabrics at great prices.
 I used the Lowes Brilliant Metals in Aged Brass over
 Antoinette Chalk Paint to get this finish on the frame. 
 The gold sheer creates a coppery shrimp 
color with the pink chalk~its really pretty.
 Then I brought it up to the bathroom and had to admit 
I did not like the gap around the cushion
between the frame.  I still hadn't screwed it down and 
it would have pulled it together somewhat,
but back down to my workshop this little lady went.
 Lucky me~I had enough moss fringe (or brush fringe)
 in just the right colors of pink and white!
 I stapled the moss fringe to the frame, not the cushion.
 After stapling it, it looked like this~
then you have to pull out the thread that holds the
 mossy fringe together on the bolt...
and when you pull out the thread it gets all fluffy like this:
 I love moss fringe! I love it on pillows and 
on tablecloths and on draperies and now on seats!
 Its thick and fluffy and should
 hide the gap nicely while adding frenchy flair.
 Here is is all together~now back to the bathroom it goes!
 I had one more thing I wanted to do to this bench. 
 Since the bench faces the vanity seat,
all you mostly see is the back of the bench, 
and its kind of plain except for the pretty legs.
 Pretty Leg
 See what I mean? Plainish...
 I bought this gorgeous old handle pull from Etsy too~
I didn't know quite what I was going to do 
with it in the bathroom, but it was going to go somewhere.
 It makes for an easy grab when pulling out the seat~
 And it looks frenchy and pretty!
 And I just couldn't stop apparently, 
as I added these tassel ties to the legs 
to dress up the back view a little bit more.
 Now I have to get going on the vanity skirt 
and other things~but this is one thing off the list.
But here she is~
a pretty french vanity seat! 
linking to
and

Photobucket

35 comments:

  1. Good Morning Amy Sweetie...
    Oh my gosh what a gorgeous share. I love your vanity stool. She is exquisite. You made her look like a Queen. I love the addition of the fringe and that pull on the back, oh the element of surprise. I LOVE it. The tassels just added the fun did they not?

    Outstanding job sweetie. I am so clapping out loud for you. I love it. Thanks for sharing this morning. You have inspired me to create this morning. Country hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your little bench is so beautiful!!! Love the little handle you added to the back too! It is an unexpected touch and really dresses up the back. Just gorgeous.....
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That turned out beautiful! I can't believe the before and after. I love that sweet fabric pattern with the brush fringe. Gosh, that little bench would be so cute in my bedroom! Wish I could find one like that. Love how you painted the wood too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So frilly and frenchy! You did an awesome job rescuing that little beauty. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy! How sweet is that! I thought you were done and then you added the hardware! A perfect finish to the piece-and I LOVE that fabric. I have NEVER bought fabric off Etsy. I think I have been missing something...oh...wait...I have to use up the roomful of fabric I HAVE first. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, do you sleep?
    This is stunning and the ruffles I see beyond the bench are making me drool. I love the paint technique you used! I just may have to put this on one of my pinterest boards!
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dear diligent lady, may I seat for a little while? I loved this seat,too much loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, Amy. Especially the pull. Nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! That linen rose fabric is divine! I had no idea that you could get things like that on etsy -- I may have to spend (waste?) some time on there! (Between that and Pinterest it's a wonder I manage to do anything!) I especially love the tassel, too -- just perfect!

    ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty Amy i love it and the frenchy handle for pulling out is genius and it looks so beautiful.
    Love the paint job and the tassel,wow this is going to be one amazing bathroom xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing..you make it seem so simple but this looks like a million bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your frenchified seat! I have never worked with moss fringe but it looks wonderful. Read about your painted chandy too - what a great idea - I've done it with a paintbruch :( - with indifferent results . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous Amy! Love that fabric and the trim! And then it just kept getting better!

    SOOOOOOO pretty!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh la la! I love it, Amy! Love the fabric but you really got me by adding the fringe to that area between the wood and the cushion. Love the handle idea, too. So much easier to pull it out that way especially if you use it often. Great fabric, too. I never thought to look for fabric on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohmygosh, the tassels sent me right over the edge!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty, I will have to go look for the Lowes paint its so cool. I am curious why you put the fringe on the bench instead of the bottom of the seat?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay Amy, how bout I just lay down in the road and you run over me with a truck.....because I want this and can't have it!!!!!!

    This is so beautiful in every way....I am truly crushing over it.

    I'm on the lookout now for one to do for myself. I also appreciate the tip on using the fringe. Never thought of that.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay Amy, how bout I just lay down in the road and you run over me with a truck.....because I want this and can't have it!!!!!!

    This is so beautiful in every way....I am truly crushing over it.

    I'm on the lookout now for one to do for myself. I also appreciate the tip on using the fringe. Never thought of that.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful!!! Do you ever sleep???

    ReplyDelete
  20. She is perfect in all her frilly femininenest! Is that a word?

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks great--love that fabric and that handle. Now I want to stop by Etsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful vanity bench and I love the French fringe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it Amy ! So sweet and french .

    ReplyDelete
  24. That turned out sooo pretty Amy! I love the color and the gold glaze over it! The soft fabric and the tassles really set it off! The handle was the icing on the cake!~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  25. The combination of paint colors is just perfect. I love the drawer pull on the back, very clever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks lovely, Amy! And I love seeing the step-by-step!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Totally fabulous Amy and your step by step tutorial is so impressive. I love it. Your bathroom is getting to be so beautiful and very very french! Ooh La La!! Love it!

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  28. You took that bench from beautiful to SPECTACULOUS! ...Love all the things you are creating for your bathroom makeover! I feel as though I am flipping through pages of a beautiful magazine article...

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW SPECTACULAR...MARIE ANTOINETTE WOULD BE PROUD! You are on a roll here my friend....your talent knows no bounds!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks great Amy! I love that moss trim, I'll have to try it with my next project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amy, I love this project. You did an outstanding job. I love the fabric and the fringe. The tassles were the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the gold finish on the vanity seat! Also love how you're taking us step by step through the bathroom makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great post! This vanity seat came out great. I am definitely going to reupholster one of my French chairs after I paint it. I can't wait to try the metallic paint at Lowes:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. WOW! Unbelievable transformation! Love, love this bench, the fringe was the piece de resistance... and the color is wonderful!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...