Monday, March 7, 2011

Fabulous Wallpapered Cabinet

 My French Provincial China Cabinet got a new look.
I papered the interior with a french classical motif wallpaper.
that I purchased on Ebay at D.Marie Interiors after much drooling.
 I did the entire interior from the ceiling to the bottom shelf
 and all the supporting brackets as well.
It was much like doing a giant decoupage project.
The original color of the entire cabinet was this mustardy yellow color.
 I had painted the outside of the cabinet pale blue,
 but never bothered doing the interior. 
History note: a billion years ago I had purchased this cabinet 
 to hold all my sweaters and jeans when I lived in a small duplex.
I tacked it up with painter tape to see how I was going
 to position the repeat of the pattern~yes, looking good!!
and then it was off to the races. 
Note that the door frames are yellow and will need to be painted.
 I finished the papering that evening and the next day I
 would paint the interior door frames to match the outside.
 For now I was basking in the glow of this gorgeous wallpaper.
~swoon~
 Leaning against the wall is the glass insert and the wire mesh screen. 
After painting the interior frames blue, I decided to eliminate the screening.
 The screen made it harder to see inside the cabinet.
This old picture with the yellow interior shows how grey
 the screen makes the cabinet and how the interior becomes shaded.
I painted the frame with BM white dove, 
then did a second coat with BM heaven on earth, a powder blue. 
I added a small amount of water to my brush so it
would be somewhat transparent, not a thick coat of opaque paint.
Then I tested out a few pieces of china...yummy!
This wallpaper is a matte finish, which I was happy about. 
When you order anything online it is hard to tell 
what it is exactly that you are buying. 
This couldn't have been more perfect,
 in color and finish, so I lucked out!
 Look how these patterns mix together~just like I had hoped.
 I papered the bottom shelf and painted the magnetic door catches. 
Wallpapering a cabinet interior is like making a puzzle. 
I never used a razor blade like I would when I paper a room. 
 Instead I cut each piece of wallpaper with scissors,
 activated the paste and then fit them into place.
I remembered Miss Mustard Seed saying that at some point in all of her 
projects, it looks scary or bad, before it all comes together.
I was glad I remembered her saying that as I was papering the support shelves.
The old pink wine glasses pick up the pinks in the wallpaper~luscious.
The cabinet is loaded with all of my things and the plates are all stacked in piles.
I chose not to lean plates against the back so I could better see the wallpaper pattern.
The scrolled frenchy door handles look great with this pattern.
This fabulous french china cabinet got a face lift!

55 comments:

  1. Great job!! I would drool over the paper too! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful. I have a cabinet in my dining room that I have been playing around with trying to do the same thing. I might just have to move a little faster on this project as you have inspired me to get this done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty wall paper. It looks wonderul in your cabinet with your dishes. Great idea and beautiful outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh-la-la is right! It's the wow factor. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks stunning, what a pretty pattern. Enjoy!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to maximize the storage but still have something pretty to look at! I've been thinking about doing this on the back of a bookcase... now I think I need to start searching for just the right wallpaper!

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous!! Love the wallpaper..so elegant and a beautiful backdrop to your pretty collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect choice of paper!!! It's beautiful and the cabinet looks amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choise Amy, it's **PERFECT**. Now you have to keep the doors open all the time.
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH just showed George, he said "it looks beautiful" with one of those chin on the floor tones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This turned out beautifully! That paper is gorgeous! You are so good about ordering from E-bay and online sources. I haven't become so adept yet! Years ago I put some wall paper in my secretary that sits in my living room. You're making me want redo it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy it is simply stunning!
    You did a fantastic job!!
    I love the paper so gorgeous!!!!!!!

    My photos on my blog roll are finally back working this morning!!

    Pamela xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous is right! I think that is the prettiest paper I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my favorite project I have seen you do ... it is absolutely beautiful!!! You must be smiling from ear to ear when you walk by that room! In fact, I can picture you sitting at the table this morning having a cup of tea and just staring at how beautiful it turned out. ;) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks wonderful! I love the cabinet and the wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Amy!!! Oh, I just love it! I am going to have to wallpaper a couple of my armoires- this is just gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amy! Oh, you've outdone yourself as this is the most gorgeous job ever! I love it and the wallpaper you used is so pretty! I love it! Man, you're good!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is beyond gorgeous wallpaper. It looks so pretty with your china. Looks so pretty with the cabinet. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely beautiful. I LOVE the wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  20. GORGEOUS! What beautiful paper and what a great job you did installing it. Good choice removing the wire mesh as it is a lot easier to see the interior of the cabinet. I am in awe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG, It looks Beautiful!!! You must be in love with the result. What delightful wallpaper!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm drooling over that beautiful paper too! Gorgeous!

    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE it, of course I do! I did the interior of my hutch with the left over blue and white wallpaper from my bedroom last Christmas and it literally changed the whole look (my hutch is not done yet though!)
    I LOVE the choice of paper too - the Neoclassial pattern, the subtle colors - just yummy!
    Will you add some gold leaf (it's gorgeous as-is, by the way and I LOVE seeing your china too!)
    LilyOake

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Amy, well it looks just gorgeous. I love the paper you used inside.. it truly is beautiful! The whole cabinet is beautiful as I love the colour blue you used to paint it. I have an armoire that I am hoping to do one day so I may have to 'borrow' your idea..! take care, Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  25. OOh la la is definitely right! Love this look - It enhances your china pieces!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow, it looks fantastic! I love the wallpaper you used, what a great idea to wallpaper the inside of a cabinet! ~Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is fantastic.....the most unique wallpaper I have ever seen. It looks beautiful. I know you put in alot of work so kudos to you.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm going to just have to steal the design out of your new wallpaper to paint on my daughter's dresser. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a difference, Amy. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, gorgeous! Your makeover is so light and feminine. I'm sure you'll LOVE this piece for many years.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ooh-la-la is right! That paper is beautiful. It almost looks hand painted. Just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, swoon indeed! It looks absolutely gorgeous, Amy! Definitely worth your meticulous efforts, and glad to hear you got past the 'scary' project point. :)
    - susan

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your cabinet turned out wonderful, Amy! It looks beautiful with all of your china displayed in it!
    Have a great week! :)
    ~ Jo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Amy,
    Ooh la la indeed!!!!! I love the paper and you did such a wonderful job. I think that repainting and wallpaper the interior made it perfect. I absolutely love it.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my. What a challenge. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Amy, I adore this paper! It reminds me so much for the Thibaut wallpapers I'm always drooling over at their website. You did a fabulous job. Wow, what a beautiful change from how it was before!
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful! So delicate...adorable colours.
    Great work!
    I love your blog.
    From Portugal (Europe)- Have a nice day!
    Best regards,
    Ana Maria

    ReplyDelete
  38. What pretty wallpaper! I like you you lined the entire inside instead of just the back. The cabinet makeover made such a big difference. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful Job!! I love it, you gave me an idea for one of my cabinets. Martina

    ReplyDelete
  40. That turned out soooo gorgeous! I can see why you drooled over the wallpaper. I have wallpapered alot and that is not easy to do inside a cabinet and have it look so nice.
    Lovely!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  41. What an amazing transformation! It really comes to life. I LOVE wallpaper and love what you did with this gorgeous cabinet!
    hugs,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  42. This looks great - the wallpaper is beautiful! I found your blog at Between Naps on the Front Porch. You have such great ideas and I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me back: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/
    Again, you did a fantastic job with this!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ahhhh, that looks so so very lovely! Love the colors, the design the paint--all in all dreamy! I wish you'd give us instructions on how to wallpaper... yeah, I've never done that and there is this plain wall in one of our guess bedrooms screaming for some wallpapering.. ;) I found a pretty roll on a thrift store, but don't even know if it's going to work, as it is so old... ;) Love your cottage too! Everything is so pretty and feminine.... just love your style!

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  44. Its beautiful and love the chandelier!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love love love love love love love.... did I mention love?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh my goodness I love this!! That wallpaper is gorgeous!!! Your dishes are just perfect with it too!! I am going to have to hunt me down some old wallpaper!!! I have 2 other china cabinets I need to do something with!

    bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love your project and I've featured it on "My Top Ten Fav Picks" at Boogieboard Cottage. Thank you for sharing it! Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Gorgeous I absolutely love it and the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh, that is so pretty! And so simple too!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...