Thursday, March 31, 2011

Josephine's French Cottage

I was recently servicing a blind at a client's home~Josephine is her name.
Wallpaper has been on my brain lately as you may know
and look what was in Josephine's kitchen.
 Decoupaged wallpaper on her fridge!
I quickly asked if I could take a picture of it thinking
I shall use this idea somewhere, someday.
 A pair of sub-zeros with french wallpaper cut out into a custom design.
Josephine had a talented young designer, Anthony Catalfano,
 do this way back in 1993! 
Anthony has gone onto huge success and Josephine felt lucky to have his talents
working on her home when he first started out.
He designed pretty window treatments 
for her in a sunny yellow and blue color scheme.
Josephine offered to give me a tour of her home
as she saw how much I was enjoying this.
  I was most happy to accept.
However I only had my iPhone to capture these images,
so fair warning that photo quality is inconsistent.
The cabinets seem to be a yellow lacquer finish.
Wallpaper in a blue and white trellis found on the fridge
continues along the soffit area.
 I adored this cute white iron chandelier.
She used to keep cookies in here when her grandkids were little.
 This is the back entry with the pretty Stark rugs. 
It connects to the kitchen, garage, laundry area and powder room.
 A pretty painted armoire...by Anthony.
 Cottage floral wallpaper on the walls and the ceiling! 
A matching window valance too.
 This is a very old dish that belonged to Jospehine's mother. 
It caught my eye right away~isn't it sweet?
 Happy colors and a sweet floral envelopes the space.
This is the laundry area. 
More wallpaper, and look up at the ceiling!
It has a ribbon detail along the perimeter.
Another pretty valance with a pencil pleat header.
 These two stunning blue and white platters hang on the wall in the back hall.
In my house they would be center stage!
 The blue and white platters tie in with the blue and white
 porcelain motif of the fabric.
 Next Josephine took me into the living room.
 She has the most amazing cabinet in a lime washed pine,
 all decorated with carvings~so french!
I wish I had a better picture of this cabinet.

 The detail on the cabinet was incredible.
Josephine has great taste I have to say.
This cabinet is filled with the things she collects and loves,
 and she told me about many of them.
 
 I was taken with the color of that aqua vase.
Her son-in-law glued it back together as it had broken.
That is what I would have tried to do, it is so beautiful.
 I collect tiny limoges boxes too so it was fun to look through her collection.
Two darling hearts, one says YOU and the other says ME. 
Her living room is soft peach and blue. 
The walls and trim paint job have a hand finished technique that my
camera doesn't show. This room just glows.
A peachy tufted pouf! 
Petite fireside sitting area for a petite lady.
 French touches are everywhere you look.
 These gilded french chairs were one of my favorites.
 
 Josephine had the most glorious fabrics on her upholstery and draperies.
Even the alabaster lamps wore shades with exquisite details.
Notice the petite trim in just the right colors.
She was told this lamp was made by Tiffany.
 It is very old and is only about 10" tall and it is exquisite.
 
 The graceful foyer has the most modern looking 
wallpaper in a peach and white geometric
with a pearlized touch in the design. 
Can you believe this is 17 years old?
 Everything was catching my eye..including this lovely wall sconce.
This gilded sconce with a cherub blowing his horn
 was selected by her husband I believe she said.
 Josephine has jauntily hung a tassel off the scrolled arm~
I love it!
 A camel stool with the most beautiful colored paisley fabric sits by the front door.
 A foyer console table and mirror in ivory and gold greets guests as they come in.
Just as I was about to leave, she invited me to view her private quarters! 
Yes~I would love to see more!
 
Most of these pictures have interior lights on, so it is hard to see the true colors.
This bedroom is fit for a queen, come look at some details.
You are lucky to be able to look in here, 
as I am the only visitor she has ever invited into her private space!
I loved everything I saw.
Her bedding was all custom made in pink moire with a scalloped tasseled edge.
And ruffled pillow shams~you know I love ruffles.
 Yes, she has a gorgeous french bed.
 I am just dying over this bed, I love it!!!
 Gorgeous pink draperies with the floral wallpaper in pinks and blues.
Am I saying gorgeous too much....?
What would the room be without a classic french armoire?
 A walk-in dressing room in ribbons and bows!
Custom cabinetry for all a ladie's needs. 
 A hallway niche with an antique dressing table. 
I cannot believe my eyes....wow!
Isn't this carved dressing table a masterpiece? 
Josephine says this table is quite old. I believe it!
Her little pouf stool is covered with an antique piece of lace~so french!
That, my friends, is the end of this French Cottage Tour. 
I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did~
even though 4 decades on the time clock separate me and Josephine,
I swear we could have been twins!
linking to:
Feathered Nest Friday
and
My Romantic Home: Show and Tell Friday



23 comments:

  1. Gorgeous home tour! I had to go back and look twice at some things. Her laundry area is a dream. I love wallpaper on a ceiling. I'm dying over her headboard too! It must have been so exciting to walk from one room to the next and see all the beautiful treasures. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say GORGEOUS is the correct way to describe it all. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful house!! I love the fridge!!!Hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that's what it's all about, to me, Amy! 80 years old and she loves her house and how it's decorated; in my book, that's how it should be and nothing else needs to be said. Thanks for sharing Josephine's lovely home with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful...

    Have a nice day!

    http://toutlamour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful home Amy! Everything is just gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great home tour! I can't imagine my bed made and not ever having a guest in it. But there is it was all set for you to photograph. That refrigerator is crazy! I've never seen anything like it. I prefer appliances looking like appliances...but its definitely creative. Looks like you had a fantastic time. Do love her bed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a darling house! A persons decor tells a lot about their personality I think. She must be a sweetheart! Thanks so much for sharing Josephine's beautiful home with us! I enjoyed my tour and your photos were wonderful!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my what a special treat. I am blown away that this home was decorated 17 years ago. The decorator was definitely on top of his game. How exciting to have had this opportunity to tour this home. She obviously spent a lifetime loving all things French. Thank you so much for sharing. It truly was an inspiration.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seventeen years ago doesn't matter at all. It was beautiful then and it still is. I can't help but compare it to the Tuscan look of this decade. It makes me long for "Pretty" again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet of Josephine to share it all with you...and all of us. It was fabulous eye candy.

    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Her home is "gorgeous!" It was so sweet of her to allow you into all of her private rooms and to photograph them. Thanks for sharing.

    hugs
    sissie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, what a charming and beautiful home. I felt like I was there ooh'ing and aah'ing with you...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amy! OH, I'm just in love with little Josephine's house. It' is gorgeous thank you so much for showing it to us!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a completely charming home. Nice to see pretty again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for giving us a tour of Josephine's lovely french cottage home. I love the soft colors.

    Thanks also Amy for your kind comment about my magazine feature. I will definitely share some secrets of the stylist and the photographer during the shoot in my next post. Enjoy your weekend dear friend!
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful home, I bet you had a ball! She has so many beautiful touches in her home, all VERY french, right up your alley!! It must have been a joy to receive the tour!!! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there Amy~ Love this post- thanks so much for sharing this beautiful home at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a treat! A charming and delightful home, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful decor and arrangement. I especially admire your collection of Limoges boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is beautiful Amy! I missed it before somehow. I love her use of yellow and think her kitchen is darling! We used to import that very same French armoire she has painted yellow, blue and white in the kitchen! Love the window treatments too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the authentic French decor, Soo stylish. Carving on the headboard is to die for and the window treatments are lovely. The dressing table in the hall way is a particular favorite of mine also reproduced by the company I work for.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...