Thursday, June 14, 2012

Union Jack table, Restoration Hardware style, Hot Pink Garden Chairs~

 We have all seen those fun pieces of furniture painted with the Union Jack.
Colin was going to do his first Chalk Paint ™ project~
 a school house desk and he came up with the idea of 
doing the British flag on the top of the desk.
 This well used little wooden desk is darling and sturdy.
It has a divot on the top for holding a pencil and a storage area
underneath the desk top~
the crayon marks speaks to its history~so cute!
 Colin printed out a flag image and then drew it out on the table top~
 He painted the desk with Napoleonic Blue first~
 Then taped off the top and did the Napoleonic Blue, 
followed by Emperor's Silk.
 Peeling off the painters tape is the best part!! 
Make sure you press down hard 
on the edge of the tape to be painted 
so it won't seep underneath~
Remove the tape while the paint is still damp or wet~
we will reveal the table tomorrow!!
While Colin was doing his first project I was painting a client's hope chest.
 Pretty right? This is NOT the finished chest~it came this way
 with a sprayed on finish in green with gold. 
It is perfectly fine, but my client Suzanne wanted
 that brushed grey look~a Restoration Hardware type of look.
 Anytime you get the first coat of chalk paint going it might look scary~
you are going to see the brush strokes~but hold onto your pants 'cuz 
the second coat is a whole different story!
 First coat finished~I find the details of a piece really stand out with this color.
Its an elegant color, French Linen. 
 The first coat is finished and you can see it still drying in spots~
after I finish the second coat I will be doing a dry brush technique
combined with a moist rag to create depth using  two tone color~
I will mix a 50/50 French Linen and Old White for that over the 2 coats of 
the base color of solid French Linen.
 Second coat completed~you can see the over spray 
of the original factory green color underneath the drawer.
 Speaking of over spray~check out Colin's sneakers in pink....
 I don't use Annie Sloan™ products for everything!!
 I used a new color group of spray paint
at Lowes...this hot pink spray paint was so fun I had to try it...
 I finished a set of 4 chairs and covered the old cushions 
in a vintage but good as new condition table cloth.
 It is so sweet and fun...I would love to have
a breakfast room with these chairs around a table.
We are selling them at $45 each~a steal if I say so myself!
You can always run to Lowes and buy more pink spray paint and do an
old table you have to make your own matched set!
 Other pretty things keep getting added to the store~
linen pillows and french paisley quilted feather pillows!
This is the fun part of having a shop, making things look pretty.
Even without Betsy's help!! I just try my best....
 Miniature garden urns~
 My tiffany blue chair, I am still in love with it,
 so I gave it a photo shoot in front of the 
random decoupaged door....
 The second chair got its French Linen wash 
and the silver rub n buff...
 So now I have a pair...I waxed them too.  I will be using 
one as my desk chair to test the wear on the seats.
 I was so busy yesterday~I sold all but one seat for the June 24th workshop.
  I had customers coming and going, including an old client
 whose house I decorated! 
So that was a nice surprise when she popped in..
she went home with the bunny on the table that she had 
seen in the blog as well as one of the crowns...
and then I had a gal from Vermont who
 is in love with my clock and angel wings...
 She wanted to know about the colors and what would 
work best with her Benjamin Moore colors.
So I put Pure White, Cream and Old White Annie Sloan™ 
color samples on the floor with Gretchen's sample of 
Weston Flax and Light as a Feather...
the Weston flax is quite similar to Cream...
I sent her some pics so she could try to 
see for herself as best one can on a computer monitor...
The wings were sent too...she has a gustavian  
decorating style way up in Vermont in her idyllic sounding house
~and these would be perfect  if she can find the right spot!
So that is the latest from Maison Decor~
I hope to be sharing the finished pieces 
Colin and I are working on soon...

Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Wow, how cool that you've got Colin painting pieces with you, Amy! What are his thoughts on the chalk paint? I can't wait to see how his desk turned out. I love French Linen ~ it is my current favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll tell you what Amy...that Colin is going to be the next greatest thing in the decorating world if he keeps following in your footsteps! His desk came out great and how nice to have a pair of helping hands in the shop!
    The angel wings are gorgeous! It takes a real man to wear pink sneakers! LOL
    Blessings, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colin looks quite proud of himself. Looking forward to the reveal. I'm dizzy looking at just how much you've accomplished lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That boy has his mother's smile. And Colin is also talented like his mother! I love the blue chairs, and now I love the hot pink too. You're just swimming right along.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. That boy has his mother's smile. And Colin is also talented like his mother! I love the blue chairs, and now I love the hot pink too. You're just swimming right along.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a good helper there, Amy! Great job on the desk that he painted.

    The piece you are working on is wonderful and I even liked the before on this one! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see Colin's finished desk Amy!! CUTE!
    xo
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy - I love visiting here and seeing what you (and Colin!) have been working on each day!! You both are doing an amazing job!!! How fun that you get work alongside each other. :) LOVE those sweet pink chairs with that fabulous fabric!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy -- can't wait to see Colins finished schooldesk! He's doing a great job AND looks like he's having fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in love with the hot pink chairs! So many of your items are drool-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks great, Amy! I don't know how you do everything you do! Colin's table is looking great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything you do. Such creative gorgeousness. I have to say the pink chairs were probably my favorite. So fun, especially with the fabric on the cushions...love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Colin can paint furniture,he has PINK shoes and he is great looking! wow Amy you raised a real catch!

    The angel wings are just beautiful and i adore the hope chest what a pretty piece of furniture,can't wait to see it finished up.
    I would buy those pink chairs for my kitchen in a heartbeat they are beautiful and wow such a great price!
    Have a great weekend Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing young people learning. I think it's looking good too. that beautiful chest, wow, I have to say I loved it both ways :):) Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am blown away by all of these AMAZING projects.....and love that Colin is your newest apprentice!! I truly love each and every piece from the gorgeous chest to the stunning chairs and that Union Jack table....brilliant! You are turning into quite a master, Amy!! Thanks for sharing your exciting adventures along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Colin is just the cutest assistant I've ever seen! You must be so proud, he's been a great addition to your blog and store and I love his desk and can't wait to see the final reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always seem to find the most beautiful pieces of furniture. Colin did a excellent job at renovating that table he must be following in your footsteps. Look forward to viewing the finished result.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The hot pink spray paint at lowes... which brand is it? It is the perfect color that I have been looking for! And I love the chairs with the white table!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...