Sunday, November 20, 2011

Front Entry

 This house doesn't have much of an entryway, never mind a foyer. I once had a house that had a foyer so big I put a huge Christmas tree in there.  Like most entryways, it is nice if you can have a spot to hang your hat or jacket~and to hold the things we use on a daily basis as we go in and out of the house.
 My front door is right next to my living room which is connected to our staircase. I always felt that when we open our front door it is a moment of "Hello~welcome to my staircase"...I hung a smocked sheer from a simple rod to cozy up the living room and create separation from the stairway.
The curtain creates a little wall between these spaces.  (Tobey can always be found trying to pose right in the middle of every picture I take, so sometimes I just get tired of shooing him off.)
 Now to the entry area~one really good thing is that the front door is a french door with sidelights.  Just think of how closed in it would feel if this were a regular wood door.  So I love having the french door for my front door~it lets in a lot of light and has an open feel.
 A hall tree from Home Goods was just the thing to put in this narrow space. It has two drawers that I fill with my garden gloves and pruners and a few pairs of winter gloves and some extra dog things.  It has a bench so you can sit down and take off your boots, as well as a series of hooks that we use for dog leads.
 To the left I have some other hooks that as the season progresses find themselves doing more duty holding winter hats, scarves and coats.
 My latest hook plaque came from my blog friends at Juniper Hill Antiques!
 It is very frenchy! I love the crystal knobs and I like it more as a decorative piece. I hung a few momentos that I got as gifts from other blog friends. A cute "petit sac" was made by Donna at D.Reynes blog, and the clay tag with "mon amie" was from my friend Jami, at Freckled Laundry blog.  These little blogland mementos and this beautiful plaque make me smile, knowing blog friends are real girl friends!
 Creating a home for my family is like building a pretty picture puzzle. I keep adding and moving things around until I have created "The Perfect Nest". Of course we all know, I will never finish my puzzle!
Juniper Hill is giving one of these away~all you have to do is like their FaceBook page! Go here to enter~

24 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore the picture of the tole tray with the burlap! Perfect compliments! I bet you enjoy walking by and staring at it, too. Some things just make us smile to look at and that would be one for me. Now, I believe I need to hop over and like Juniper Hill's FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! What a lovely space. we're just in the middle of decorating our hall, landing and staircase right now, but we're going Tuscan with Venetian plaster and it's taking forever! But I love the calm cool relaxing style that you have. Perhaps when my three robust little boys are older I will be able to have a space like yours! Thanks for sharing, Sally @ enlightenment for the sleepy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, it's so bright and airy and oozing with charm. I love all the little touches...it's pretty yet homey which is sometimes hard to achieve. It should be in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it..."Welcome to my staircase!" As always, you do the best with what you have. the sheer curtain adds a little separation, that's nice. I also love the little little details that make it look like a foyer. I have nothing...we walk right into the living room. It's really frustrating. So I really appreciate what you've done!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great, Amy! It is very welcoming and would make me want to come in to visit! It looks very, very nice. The sheers was a great idea! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, you have a beautiful, welcoming nest. I'm sure your family loves what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I love this House!!!! And I'm sure your Xmas tree will be beautiful anyway, have a nice Sunday, hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've made your entry a very welcoming place !

    ReplyDelete
  9. And 'fabulous as you've placed your home ......
    I find it very cozy and comfortable .....
    good evening
    kisses
    Sabry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sherlock (wink) love your hook placque...so French and fits so beauitfully in your home. I love how you are always tweaking, isn't that part of the fun, a home truly is a labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your home is lovely and your entry is so bright and open feeling. Love the hall tree, that is just perfect. Great decor. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the smocked sheers and the sunlight pouring through your french doors. What a lovely home you have. I'm new to your blog and am now a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great plaque, Amy! I put my hall tree in our front entry; it was really the only piece that would work here and it's just a few steps into the living room from the entry. I like your French door front door, too. It does let in a lot of light and makes it so nice and bright here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful light you have streaming into your foyer! We have a staircase right as you open the door too. We don't even have a wall to put a coat rack. We have a coat closet off of our great room, but you have to walk about 20 steps to get to it.

    Love what you have done with your foyer Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its looks so welcoming... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to live at your house...plain and simple! :) So happy that you enjoy the plaque, it is sweet of you to mention us again in your blog....it was the least we could do for such a special blog friend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I just love seeing this view of your beautiful home! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Amy,
    There is just something about your home that makes me smile everytime I see it. I think it's because you use the same colors and styles that I love so much. Your entryway hall cabinet is perfect for your space. I love the pretty french piece with the hooks...so lovely.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  19. So clever to put the curtain divider between the stairs and living area... It's so cool how you think of stuff like that... and i love your hall tree with the tole tray, and the little sign that says HOME. It does look homey with all your little personal items, so cute and functional. It's the perfect thing for that space. And the plaque with crystal knobs from Juniper Hill, ahhhhhh it is so so cute.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a pretty space! I love the sheer hanging by the railing. But please tell us about the grand piano!OK...maybe I'm the only one who's interested. What can I say? I spent more time as a musician/theatre person than I've spent in interior decorating...at least in reality. I think I was a decorator in my mind since I was about 5 years old!LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think your entry is so welcoming and pretty!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely stunning! Love it, love your blog and your beautiful photography!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...